Cycle question

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the thread: June 1st is a boosted cycle it was ready by June tenth. You register nitrate above, we're set. Only ammonia matters, you're past the ammonia control date for unassisted cycles you've been very patient

Time to buy some stuff :) first start animals/ ready.

This extra time, excellent you're mega ready

Change all wastewater for new

Add life, they live bc its cycled

After managing about ten thousand cycles online, I'm totally sure yours is ready

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated

Just saw fritz used

You were ready June 3rd lol awesome
Fritz adheres to surfaces in under three days

Here's you're real param breakdown (api or red sea isn't real its approximated readings)

Ammonia- thousands ppm not tenths (seneye will show this)

Nitrite- doesn't factor

Nitrate- ten stated, some is there, don't know how much but it doesn't matter, cycled. Change water begin

Fezbearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to glom on since i have a cycle question.
I've been dosing my Marine 70.3 with Fritz Ammonia Chloride and the next day my levels are down to 0.
Currently parameters are Ammonia: 0 mg/L, Nitrite 0ppm, and Nitrates 10-25 ppm.

I'm currently getting diatoms along my rock work and parts of the sand. What does the hive mind think? Just let it do its thing for a bit longer, or am I at the point where I should start QTing the CUC.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is completed same as above but with this added proof, which I'll add to the thread

In 100% of cases benthic growths/ new growths on substrate marks a completed cycle. It takes longer than bottle bac take to adhere to grow new algae, diatoms or cyano mats. Two ready for the thread, change ur water and start

if something has real coralline on it, or an adhered mico serebellid fanworm with a tiny red crown, then that entire substrate zone/rock was cycled fully months or aeons ago...coralline is the best one

fanworms second best

filmy algae, scum, diatoms, still are a weeks long timeframe to establish, not days. the boosters we use are days till done

Last edited:

Fezbearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is completed same as above but with this added proof, which I'll add to the thread

In 100% of cases benthic growths/ new growths on substrate marks a completed cycle. It takes longer than bottle bac take to adhere to grow new algae, diatoms or algae. Two ready for the thread, change ur water and start

if something has real coralline on it, or an adhered mico serebellid fanworm with a tiny red crown, then that entire substrate zone/rock was cycled fully months or aeons ago...coralline is the best one

fanworms second best

filmy algae, scum, diatoms, still are a weeks long timeframe to establish, not days. the boosters we use are days
I suspected as much, but wanted someone experienced to confirm it for me. Thanks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can we get updated tank pics when you add new life/clean water, its vital to our tracking of success. we think the animals tell the final tale, not the tester. its our crescendo :)

only pictures of happy clownfish prove anything to people.

We always require the known number of days underwater before calling the cycle complete (all cycling charts have a time axis we're solving for) but in your case/inferred. anything past three days and the fritz was ready

(if someone wants to know how thats been measured, look up a thread called Dr. Reef's bottle bac testing thread its massive. 90 pages of bottle bac study, fritz won :) . the way he proofs working bottle bac is with a 100% water change, he's not testing dosed water/ he's testing true nitrification from added bacteria stuck to surfaces and fritz is water change immune in under 3 days, likely overnite)

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the ways updated cycle science stands out from dry bones old cycle science is we havent and wont approach any cycle as if its stalled, retrograded, made inert bc someone used Dr Tims dosing levels from the wrong label and got to 8 ppm, or that theres half a ppm of nitrite, we simply dont ask for that data. if you stew all that randomness + bottle bac for weeks, its ready, even if the bad water doesnt appear ready/ we can reveal whats underneath and ready with the water change or for 500 gallon systems, poly filter it back to clean before adding bioload, start with no algae fuel water, the new bioload + feed is plenty/ ease the uglies by starting clean.

its refreshing to know that cycles dont stall out, or have to be redosed over and over and we dont have to wait for wastewater to clear of all its random additives and metabolites before we begin.
we pay top dollar to bottle bac makers to skip out on the common 30 day wait axis from the charts, how we assess that completion is now changed/updated and everyone's new fish will live, at least until fallow/qt has final say

if the tank is small enough to allow a quick changeout for new, then there's less algae water above the fully-working bio layer of filter bac stuck to all the rocks. arranging the water dosing of bac, ammonia etc in precise measures and using a digital meter to measure ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will then follow cycling rules only much quicker.

I have trouble finding api and red sea ammonia levels that are zero in fully matured reefs, so using them as cycle umpires has to be updated to match that fact.

Tuned and calibrated seneye meters on the other hand show all post-cycle reefs to be at .00x ppm ammonia without variance, thats the conversion rate we can currently best measure and its consistent for all tanks not some.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back