Cycle question

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started the cycle on my 65g on Just 1st this year. I haven’t done a water change. (Should I?) and my reading are;
pH 8.4
Nitrate 0.2
Ammonia 0.4
Nitrate 10ppm
Is this normal? I’m doing the cycle with fish. Should I do a water change? Or do you just let it be?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if a tank is truly “cycled” there shouldn’t be any detectable ammonia. What type of test kits are you using?

and a water change probably wouldn’t hurt so long as you test again after the new water is added

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if a tank is truly “cycled” there shouldn’t be any detectable ammonia. What type of test kits are you using?

and a water change probably wouldn’t hurt so long as you test again after the new water is added
I’m using the Redsea test kits. I know the cycle can take 2 months. But I used about 8oz of the Fritz turbo start 900 1 4oz at the start and the 2nd a week after. I figured that would speed things up some.

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you reading the test kit correctly. If the color on the card is .4, then your ammonia is actually .04
The kit reads both types of ammonia.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you reading the test kit correctly. If the color on the card is .4, then your ammonia is actually .04
The kit reads both types of ammonia.
I posted it the way I read it. And both types of ammonia????

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see that. I don’t understand that
The NH3 is the reading to go by for reading ammonia in our tank. That is the level you want to convert your reading to. I don't know why they do it that way. To me it doesn't make much sense but that is the way it is I guess. Good news is, congrats, your ammonia is almost undetectable again.

On a side note, I made the same mistake and freaked and did a 50% water change in my QT tank thinking my ammonia was .8 and not .08

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NH3 is the reading to go by for reading ammonia in our tank. That is the level you want to convert your reading to. I don't know why they do it that way. To me it doesn't make much sense but that is the way it is I guess. Good news is, congrats, your ammonia is almost undetectable again.

On a side note, I made the same mistake and freaked and did a 50% water change in my QT tank thinking my ammonia was .8 and not .08
Well that is just odd. Lol. So do I need to do a water change? Or should I just let it be?

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any reason why you couldn't do a small one.
Like 10g? I don’t wanna do anything to upset the cycle. I have another tank the cycled in 2 weeks so I’m not use to seeing all this last for so long. And I did my last tank a few years ago so I forget some of the basics.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine.
Well after thinking about it I left the tank alone. I tested everything again today and the ammonia was 0 but my Nitrate 0.2 Nitrate 10ppm did not change. I tested 3 times to verify. It looks like this round of cycle is almost coming to an end?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this cycle is fully complete, no further delay required. youd change water, add new, add life, it lives

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this cycle is fully complete, no further delay required. youd change water, add new, add life, it lives
I just tested my water again today and my ammonia is still at 0 but my Nitrite is still at .2. Why won’t it drop down to 0?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite used to matter, it no longer does

Wanna be the first entrant in this thread below

If you change out your water and add life, it lives.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back