Help with salt!

Dan1979e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having issues with current Reef Salt… every time I do my weekly water changes my parameters are always way off…This last batch I bought had hard lumps through out and didn’t mix well.. Currently using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (the orange bucket) I want to know what other people are using and why? I’m done with this company. I have to much invested to have it crash cause of a bad salt mix.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos is extremely well made as well. Icp tested also. I really like it. Mixes perfectly

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tropic Marin pro salt - also synthetic and mixes in minutes - good video on salt mixes from BRS TV here

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using ESV B-Ionic Seawater System. Works very well for me, and remains stable in longer term storage. Plus, no yucky residue in my mix drum.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this. I used to use red sea coral pro but it threw my nutrients way off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
D

Dan1979e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using ESV B-Ionic Seawater System. Works very well for me, and remains stable in longer term storage. Plus, no yucky residue in my mix drum.
Once mixed what is the shelf life of the water before it has to be used and what do you use for storage?

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept it as long as 3 months. No change in Alk and no precipitation

Storage is our fave, Brute trash can, and in the garage, in Houston. So hot and humid.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having issues with current Reef Salt… every time I do my weekly water changes my parameters are always way off…This last batch I bought had hard lumps through out and didn’t mix well.. Currently using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (the orange bucket) I want to know what other people are using and why? I’m done with this company. I have to much invested to have it crash cause of a bad salt mix.
I suggest finding a salt that mixes to the parameters you keep for your tank. (Alkalinity can be adjusted in any salt mix fairly easily). No matter which salt you choose, if it doesn’t somewhat match the parameters of your tank, you will always have the same issue.

jimmers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt see this reply above but I must have missed it. What are the exact perimeters of the water you are using?

OP
OP
D

Dan1979e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept it as long as 3 months. No change in Alk and no precipitation

Storage is our fave, Brute trash can, and in the garage, in Houston. So hot and humid.
So it does not have to be air tight? Also is light a factor? I do have a large water storage but it’s sort of see though?

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it does not have to be air tight? Also is light a factor? I do have a large water storage but it’s sort of see though?
I just have the lid sitting loosely on the top. I use an old canister filter from my old Cichlids tank as the mixing pump. So there are are hard lines looped over the top that prevent the lid from locking.

Direct sunlight could potentially be an algae issue with a semitransparent tote. But I have a few semitransparent Jerry cans that always have either RO/DI or saltwater in them. They get indirect sunlight from the windows in the garage. Never had an issue yet.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back