92.5 KB · Views: 19

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diesel

Again thank you man. That was the final step needed to close the matter, you were given lots of info to consider lol can't claim running low on post info at reef2reef :)

Those api readings are far more yellow than I ever expected them to be.

Given the dilution

The fifteen pounds of cured rock

Bottle bac able to carry bioload on day one

Time since initial fill

The fish health, normal feeding

Clean water

What day ten on the ammonia line of a cycle chart says happens to ammonia

Given the yellow color of that test result, as nh4, before 10x reduction to nh3

Given our 31 pages of testing

The fish were fine this whole time. Testless cycling uses alternate proofs beyond a nine dollar test kit.

You used bottle bac exactly designed to do this effectively.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to see the most bioload I've ever seen added day one of a dry start reef, using bottle bac?

That's the most bioload I've seen added day one of a dry rock bottle bac cycle

Yours was two fish in 75 gallon with 65 pounds of combined wet rock.

That is a $250 anemone, several fish, coral, and over a year to track it's outcome

How did the tank look the entire time again: happy. Open. Bright, sustained daily feed.

See how ammonia control is certain, not in doubt?

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have become bad had we not seen the test kit pic. We were drifting towards the worst possible scenario until that was posted.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have become bad had we not seen the test kit pic. We were drifting towards the worst possible scenario until that was posted.
-or the original post before editing-
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 5.11.32 PM.png

Thank you from saving us from something that was never an issue to anybody but you. You are the best at that. Congrats.

I am pretty sure that the rest of us could read and understand that the LFS said "zero" and we knew what that meant without the photo.

It is hard to imagine the terribleness that would have happened. I guess that nothing can be terrible in some circumstances?

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t think I was ever on the verge of doing anything besides waiting. Which even though I’m sure it would be fine I’m still going to wait to add anymore livestock intill I see significant algae growth to add some cleaners then I’ll start with the fish I want after that.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda

nice flip flop. Prior pages you were inching towards concern for his cycle, everyone but DBurr, glad we are all in such agreement now- we got there so quickly this time

thank you for asking the pertinent questions that led us to closure and discovery. Your insight and constructive leadership stands out.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion pages 2-6 of this thread could have gone down so differently if people could be more open minded about updates to common procedure. I would have easily been more open minded about Diesel not being cycled and ready if someone would have posted threads they ran or discovered on tank cycles showing true fail risks, multiple fails, but those weren‘t posted. The only reading material we got was for completed cycles.

Its important to know the exact ethical start date for a reef tank, this allows one to never look back in doubt and instead look forward into fish disease prevention at the right time. That’s the sole reason it’s all worth it. Now that exact start date cycling is unfolding in the hobby and being proven in pattern, the next step for passionate cycle umpires is to direct former attention they’d given to nh4 readings squarely into Jays disease forum and how to prevent these new cyclers from winding up there in six months.

all cycle umpires should focus on disease risks, ammonia control is the easy and guaranteed part.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How differently would this thread have gone down without two voices telling Diesel he was cycled from page one…we wouldn’t have seen his test reading, or his tank layout, we’d still just be reading about how he needed to wait longer or buy something and fish disease prep warnings would still never be mentioned

Diesel

when some fish are lost in the first year, don’t drift back towards hunting for a parameter that caused it. You’ll see in your tank at the time now the loss only focused on fish, not snails not crabs not corals- the place to go for assistance at that time is Jays disease forum for fallow and quarantine preps. Some get lucky and never need those preps, 80% do need them/a majority we can see in the rolls of logs he manages using other peoples sick fish reef tanks. on a handy side note, every entrant into Jays disease help forum completed the old school month long cycle with 0/0/x parameter goals. They still wound up losing fish because waiting past the ammonia drop date in a cycle specifically doesn’t make the tank safer for fish.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an hour long dance last night. The sun came up this morning. Everybody should be thanking me. The thanks should probably be in private, though, since the people who think that I lack the self awareness to know how I fit into all of this, or just think that the sun would have come up anyway, are just trolls. Send a chat.

If somebody can prove that the sun would have come up anyway if I did not do that dance can collect a bounty. Only successes.

Build threads only please.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.

this was a simple cycle fix among fixes.

there was no shred of doubt from DBurr or myself, the doubt came from you guys but I can understand why. It’s not like this was yours and my first disagreement, remember when the sand rinse thread was on page two and you were telling us how bad it was going to turn out :)

I don’t mind if you and I continually disagree, everyone needs a nemesis to provide motivation.

the jeers here about seneye: notice again they don’t come with any study links showing it’s consistent measure in reef tanks to be off; nobody popped in the 20 pages seneye+ ammonia dosing thread and said “hey you’re all shills and your device is wrong” lol

its perfectly fine by me jda if your best vitriol is reserved only for threads I do work in, you can tell it’s not going to stop the pages from compiling the same outcomes regardless of the subject matter. My main interest isn‘t arousing your ire, it’s adding to the pages and years of fixed tanks. I kind of baited you into that response above / admitted

try and move on from it now, no need to hold uber long term grudges.

old cycling rule adherents aren’t the meanest bunch in reefing by the way…am used to far worse accusation among logged outcomes. The worst reception in reefing history was posting about pico reefs back when only large tanks existed. Were it not for the throngs of peers in tow over the unfolding months and years after 2001, we’d all still be accused of photoshop, hidden plumbing and cheat camera tricks. After all, the sages of the day ruled out the possibility of pico reefs by posting peer-reviewed articles on coral allelopathy, and we all know how it goes down when the sages get challenged.

it is utmost fun shaking up the reef establishment from time to time, and logging the outcome patterns.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mainly p.o.’d at you jda for getting my last cycling thread locked by ruining my thread with uninvited trolling until they locked down a perfectly good study destined to include two hundred eventual reef tank examples.

I can’t wait until you write a work thread post one day JDA around any given subject, and have people post their reefs to you for live time assessment and accountability on X method claimed. You have a strong science background everyone knows, combine that with stepping out of your comfort zone and I think you’d have a lot to offer in a live time works study.

a cable guy using 'bad' science logs the bulk of cycle fixes, I would have expected the science group with access to advanced nh3 meters would be writing information about ammonia dynamics in a display reefing

I always found it strange you were criticizing my honest help cycle advice JDA without just measuring it and reporting back. Using your hach and calibrated pH testing gear, do an nh3 trending study on a new reef with live rocks moved from pet store to home, and bioload recently added, to test 'new tank' ammonia noncontrol. Then do a dry start reef with just fritz bacteria.

Then do a running reef tank with no problems, like your sps reef. Baseline that information on a chart and help us get new insight into what nh3 does and by what date

what if teamwork happened vs slights and pokes.

if you ever make a work thread link me to it, I give you my word I will not wreck it, I’ll support you in the name of forwarding the hobby.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple truth is that you did not fix any of those tanks any more than you fixed this one. I just want people to know and see that. Since I am here for the advancement of the hobby, I will continue to point out that you are a charlatan and a clown that has no actual experience with any of this taking credit for things that others do and most outcomes would have happened anyway, just like this one.

If you knew what you were talking about, I have plenty of other vitriol for other loud mouths who think that they know it all without any actual experience. It is not just you, but other people like you who are here for themselves and not for the hobby.

I can post a link that that thread for the actually smart people to see. Most of the board decided to post aback about your ridiculous assertions and nature. It was not just me. Not even close. Again, not aware enough to notice the others, or just not smart enough to remember?

I am going to start asking what your actual experience is. Build threads only please.

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon you need to chill bud. You act as if you have done something major here. When in all reality it was a discussion about a tank with multiple tests and visuals to come to a conclusion. It’s great to have many views and opinions on a subject to compare outcomes. Please climb down off your high horse as if you are all knowing. This thread was meant for learning. We can let the conversation rest now and stop clouding it up for future reference.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome for having your cycle fixed Diesel. JDA Erin and Zombie needed to chill five pages ago. I still am amazed you were as willing to post pics on demand, that’s rare and was helpful to get it all fixed up.

enjoy your cycled reef and don’t forget when the fish start dying by October it’s not your params, it’s skipping disease preps and those can easily be reinstated when you’re ready. I realize you don’t believe me regarding the disease issues coming up, this is merely a third prediction set to help you, relayed directly from Jays forum.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back