Cycle question

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with those reading I can assume the tank is cycled and I should knock a water change right?
No. Once you have a reading of 0/undetectable ammonia, AND a measurable amount of niTRATE, then you add some fuel (extra food, bottled ammonia, etc), until your test shows 1-2 ppm ammonia. Then you test 24 hours later - if the system has processed the 1-2 ppm ammo and it's back to 0/undetectable, then your system is cycled for the bioload it has.

EDIT: THE ABOVE IS NOT FOR TANKS THAT ALREADY HAVE FISH!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dieselgoose said:
So with those reading I can assume the tank is cycled and I should knock a water change right?
No. Once you have a reading of 0/undetectable ammonia, AND a measurable amount of niTRATE, then you add some fuel (extra food, bottled ammonia, etc), until your test shows 1-2 ppm ammonia. Then you test 24 hours later - if the system has processed the 1-2 ppm ammo and it's back to 0/undetectable, then your system is cycled for the bioload it has.

I Added an important edit.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dieselgoose said:

I Added an important edit.
You must of heard me typing! LOL

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to learn, go and find an article written by somebody smart, like a biologist or chemist, that explains it. Dr. Ron has written a bunch.... maybe Dr. RFH too. I dunno. ...and not bulk reef supply or other manufacturer or vendor. :)

The format is incredibly bad, but Wet Web Media has a wealth of knowledge where you can learn a lot. You can find some cycle questions and just start reading the back and forth from the asker and the professional. You can learn a lot there, but it can be painful at first... but after a while, it starts to look like the 1s and 0s dripping down on the green screen of the Matrix and it all makes sense.

I will stay out of most of since you can find somebody smarter, but where most posters leave off is the last step of the nitrogen cycle where anoxic bacteria deep in the rock and sand turn no3 back into nitrogen gas. This is how you efficiently export nitrate without ever getting too low. Some tanks will never be good at this if they don't have enough sand or have non porous rock and the owners are left to treat nitrate on their own with media or chemicals. By your photos, you will need more sand for this. I really like to have 2-3 inches of sand, which I talk about a lot in my build thread since it buffers phosphate and completes the N cycle and I can feed a ton of food to my fish, which in turn feed my corals a ton with their waste.

I really like that. That statement makes me regret ever adding the fritz in the first place. I would 100% like to stay away from adding any unecessary chemicals or anything that nature and time would not take care of on its own. I’m a die hard flounder fisher so I know how to be patient lol

Bacteria products are fine. I doubt that they hurt anything. Since you had fish, their guts had all the bacteria that you needed, but not all will use fish for this. Don't sweat the fritz addition... it might have done something whether it was necessary or not. There are WAY worse things that you could have added.

In the future, there is nearly nothing in a bottle that you need to add beyond carbonate, calcium and maybe some magnesium (or other real traces). Try and avoid all remedies in a bottle and you will be further along than most. Say no to DinoX if you get dinos. Say no to NoPox if you get pox - kidding... but just say no.

I would not do an ammonia stress test with fish in the tank. Film algae is a good enough of indicator that you can process some stuff.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the feeling that cycling is maybe the most highly debating aspect in the hobby.
Only because people are inclined to look for shortcuts.
The fact that we're trying to create a healthy, stable ecosystem that will last for a long time means that we have to let the system develop and go through the inconvenient stages...

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually one of the best communities on the net IMO. Not too much fighting to be honest.

As said above, this probably one of, if not the most highly debated topic in aquariums keeping history. You hit a nerve, so to speak.
It is the best online community I’ve been a part of. People overall are terrific.

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to learn, go and find an article written by somebody smart, like a biologist or chemist, that explains it. Dr. Ron has written a bunch.... maybe Dr. RFH too. I dunno. ...and not bulk reef supply or other manufacturer or vendor. :)

The format is incredibly bad, but Wet Web Media has a wealth of knowledge where you can learn a lot. You can find some cycle questions and just start reading the back and forth from the asker and the professional. You can learn a lot there, but it can be painful at first... but after a while, it starts to look like the 1s and 0s dripping down on the green screen of the Matrix and it all makes sense.

I will stay out of most of since you can find somebody smarter, but where most posters leave off is the last step of the nitrogen cycle where anoxic bacteria deep in the rock and sand turn no3 back into nitrogen gas. This is how you efficiently export nitrate without ever getting too low. Some tanks will never be good at this if they don't have enough sand or have non porous rock and the owners are left to treat nitrate on their own with media or chemicals. By your photos, you will need more sand for this. I really like to have 2-3 inches of sand, which I talk about a lot in my build thread since it buffers phosphate and completes the N cycle and I can feed a ton of food to my fish, which in turn feed my corals a ton with their waste.

Bacteria products are fine. I doubt that they hurt anything. Since you had fish, their guts had all the bacteria that you needed, but not all will use fish for this. Don't sweat the fritz addition... it might have done something whether it was necessary or not. There are WAY worse things that you could have added.

In the future, there is nearly nothing in a bottle that you need to add beyond carbonate, calcium and maybe some magnesium (or other real traces). Try and avoid all remedies in a bottle and you will be further along than most. Say no to DinoX if you get dinos. Say no to NoPox if you get pox - kidding... but just say no.

I would not do an ammonia stress test with fish in the tank. Film algae is a good enough of indicator that you can process some stuff.
Thank you. So is there any negative side affects to more sand or too much sand or does that go hand and hand with the mor surface area the more place for bacteria to live and grow.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So is there any negative side affects to more sand or too much sand or does that go hand and hand with the mor surface area the more place for bacteria to live and grow.
It depends on how deep the sandbed is. If you add more sand now, it will probably create more ammonia.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diesel can you post the recent ammonia reading if poss

Ones from today will be perfect

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One I did at home and the other was done at the LFS around and hour apart

Attachments

• 57A20D96-E988-49E4-AE94-08AB77071329.jpeg
    57A20D96-E988-49E4-AE94-08AB77071329.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 30
  • C0E88442-30A1-47FC-80B8-0AA0950F8E3B.jpeg
    C0E88442-30A1-47FC-80B8-0AA0950F8E3B.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 28

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that. That statement makes me regret ever adding the fritz in the first place. I would 100% like to stay away from adding any unecessary chemicals or anything that nature and time would not take care of on its own. I’m a die hard flounder fisher so I know how to be patient lol
There's no real reason to not add bacteria to a brand new system that has limited or no live rock. The goal is for the nitrifying bacteria populations to grow to a level that can support the waste of the system. It is not an 'unnatural' process to dump some extra bacteria into the tank rather than rely on the small amount already present to catch up. :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add more sand. Always can. It is a good idea to go slow if the tank is mature since you will need time for the oxic and anoxic areas to redevelop.

I like an untouched sandbed, but not everybody does. I like the critters that like it, I love the denitrification and phosphate buffering. It is just not worth it to me to do the job that the sand would otherwise do.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good way to cultivate an anoxic environment for denitrifying bacteria/processes is to use biomedia like Seachem Matrix (not to be confused with the Matrix mentioned a few posts ago with reference to wet web media, lol). It's an alternative to a deep sand bed. If you want to try this, I suggest dumping a jar of Matrix into a large mesh media bag (the holes/mesh are large, the bag can be whatever size you want) and placing it in your sump.

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have in my sump currently. Plan to grow algae about this.

Attachments

• A97F862B-4DBF-4192-8D73-88A91C4ADC71.jpeg
    A97F862B-4DBF-4192-8D73-88A91C4ADC71.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 23

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have in my sump currently. Plan to grow algae about this.
Like I said, adding a product that is designed to encourage anaerobic bacterial colonization will help with nitrate control in the long run

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back