Cycle question

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you DG for being patient with our cycling nerdery :)

your prompt responses for pics and willingness to help us gain assessment data is much appreciated.

in the end, we're all simply trying to discern best and most consistent practices. Cycling science is not out of the old west phase currently/ that's why umpires don't agree on outcomes here.

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matter of fact I just pulled up to the LFS and will have them run water and will report back shortly. I will repeat test when I get home and post those results as well.

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you DG for being patient with our cycling nerdery :)

your prompt responses for pics and willingness to help us gain assessment data is much appreciated.

in the end, we're all simply trying to discern best and most consistent practices. Cycling science is not out of the old west phase currently/ that's why umpires don't agree on outcomes here.
Yeah for sure. We all learning today hahaha

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont relay the levels to us; take an actual cell phone pic of the test vial they use + its color card, please let us see the actual test in motion.

once you get their nh4 levels as a pic, and then yours at home, that will be a handy set of unconverted data to match back to big picture about your cycle here

also: when they send you away with 1-3 bottles of corrective measures, for cost, I promise not to be mad :) you never stood a chance of not doing that, our peers have seen to it.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429. That statement by you is so demonstrably false that anyone you has even heard of someone who owns a fish tank knows that is complete and utter horsecrap.

Have you ever seen someone who added a bunch of fish to an immature tank and everything crashed? I've seen it more times than I can count. My local LFS says they get complaints about it at least once a month. Have you ever seen someone seriously overfeed and lose livestock. I've seen it a few times.

Your responses are a terrible sales pitch for a terrible product. The Seneye is a complete and utter waste of money and you have spent the vast majority of your 22,000 posts hijacking peoples threads and spouting unsubstantiated fake science so that your posts overwhelm anyone else and you show up on Google.

Your posts are an annoying sales pitch and nothing more. I have worked with JDA for years on Neptune forums and I would consider him extremely knowledgeable. The fact that you immediately discount his posts shows you are here to argue and overwhelm posts not to actually educate and inform.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My proof is in 30 years of having actual, successful tanks done with actual science in my own home. I am sure that most of you know, but for those who do not, Brandon works off of that back of others while cherry picking what he want to see without having the actual experience enough to know what is really going on. Nothing has changed... I have done it and you write about it.

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the LFS says zero ammonia. Zero nitrite and zero nitrates. Which makes absolutely no since. I’m headed home now and will test all 3 when I get there. Also the high range nitrate checker from Hanna will be in sometime today and will report back with that as well. Stay tuned. Lol

Attachments

• 24979883-55E3-4545-9B69-76ED2100F064.jpeg
    24979883-55E3-4545-9B69-76ED2100F064.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 1780225A-A4A5-450E-8E1F-22B62326D864.jpeg
    1780225A-A4A5-450E-8E1F-22B62326D864.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 30

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that all three of those are near zero. However, only the ammonia matters. If you get a different result at home, then might want to dig in a bit, but a Salifert kit is $12.50 on amazon and I would like to see it a lot more than the API.

BTW - it is highly unlikely that any of those are truly at zero. They are just not detectable with these kits. There is a minor difference, but the distinction is worth noting moving forward. The smart ones know the difference between undetectable and zero and might give different advice depending. I suggest that use new terms of undetectable so that other can help you help yourself better. It can matter.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zombie, we have 0% losses and 100% wins for as many pages as you can skip past reading in my work threads which are carbon copies of this exact cycling post.

I'm only saying this is an easy example we're working, we get tougher cycles to troubleshoot and those turn out fine too in my opinion it's in the patterns.

what's being assessed here is in continuance with the work we've been doing, with positive outcomes.

There will be no redemption of the Bounty on a failed cycle, and you can easily secure Hach nh3 data if you'd like

JDA has access to the meter for testing, pair up with him to ensure something is linked back we can learn from.

I'm thinking we won't be hearing back from you or JDA involving any aspect of digital ammonia nh3 measurement in reefs presenting this way; that's a stalemate. We'd defer to sheer tank outcome until digital proofs for the ranges I claim are posted.

Readers in our false stuck cycling thread studying this thread:

Look at the degree of doubt and kickback here. Have you ever seen that even once in our thread? We are at 31 straight pages of happy aquarists, happy tank outcomes

Isn't that exactly what we're aiming for in cycling science- consistency and predictability of completion dates?

Have you ever seen one unhappy reefer who ever followed the advise of updated cycling science> heck I'm actually trying to pay people to show me the fail examples and they won't, not even for a hundred bucks.

How much passion and redress here was aimed at fish disease prevention? Did any umpires mention that as today's top fish loss cause?

The distilled heart of the matter is: do reef tanks require a dayslong transition to get from unable to carry bioload to able to carry a bioload, or is it fast when the transition occurs given certain arrangements?

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want a digital measurement. I'll use a hanna. That is something that is actually accurate and useful.

Seneye is a complete waste of money and the person who thought it was something aquarist needed at all is just plain dumb. Nobody needs to know ammonia outside of initial cycling, pH is better left to an aquarium controller, and continuous par measurement is not useful at all. You can check par once with a rental from your local reef club and you never need to check again until you get new lights.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you please stop editing your posts, other than typos. It shows an enormous lack of self awareness and disdain for everybody else. If your knowledge in this hobby has not evolved any better than your board management skills, it is probably best that you stick with PMs where the people who know what they are doing (the trolls in your mind) do not exist.

For everybody else, I will transparently help out in the open.

This whole "we worked in out privately or in chats" is just too much like those losers that you went to high school with that had the hot girlfriend in another town that you did not know. If anybody believes the "if you want it fixed, I am the only one who can fix it, then I guess that they get what the deserve, although the livestock does not deserve what is coming. Stop claiming victory for things that were going to happen anyway and have nothing to do with whatever you are trying to save us all from.

For any r2r staff, or moderator, I blame some of this on you and your policy that everybody is equal and to be nice. This thread could have been nice and tidy if people could just shut down the few clowns instead of having to go back and forth to just make sure that others don't believe their garbage.

OP
OP
D

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you please stop editing your posts, other than typos. It shows an enormous lack of self awareness and disdain for everybody else. If your knowledge in this hobby has not evolved any better than your board management skills, it is probably best that you stick with PMs where the people who know what they are doing (the trolls in your mind) do not exist.

For everybody else, I will transparently help out in the open.

This whole "we worked in out privately or in chats" is just too much like those losers that you went to high school with that had the hot girlfriend in another town that you did not know. If anybody believes the "if you want it fixed, I am the only one who can fix it, then I guess that they get what the deserve, although the livestock does not deserve what is coming. Stop claiming victory for things that were going to happen anyway and have nothing to do with whatever you are trying to save us all from.

For any r2r staff, or moderator, I blame some of this on you and your policy that everybody is equal and to be nice. This thread could have been nice and tidy if people could just shut down the few clowns instead of having to go back and forth to just make sure that others don't believe their garbage.
I’m sorry if this thread is getting upsetting or off track. I really just want to get to the bottom of my tanks statues and the science of it all. I’m here to learn. I appreciate everyone’s input.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you please stop editing your posts, other than typos... For any r2r staff, or moderator, I blame some of this on you and your policy that everybody is equal and to be nice. This thread could have been nice and tidy if people could just shut down the few clowns instead of having to go back and forth to just make sure that others don't believe their garbage.
Wow... I can't see some of the posts due to blocking certain individuals, but I might need to get some popcorn and look at those blocked posts!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... I can't see some of the posts due to blocking certain individuals, but I might need to get some popcorn and look at those blocked posts!
Sorry
I’m sorry if this thread is getting upsetting or off track. I really just want to get to the bottom of my tanks statues and the science of it all. I’m here to learn. I appreciate everyone’s input.
Those APi kits are your issue. They just don't have the resolution to show very low levels. Some never show the color associated with 0. Others show 0 when there is still a meaningful level.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow
I'm not a scientist, I'm not a biologist, I don't study fish, I don't study Coral, I don't study the oceans. I have been a hobbyist since the early 90s when we did use fish to cycle tanks because it wasn't widely known how to do it any other way.

Do I agree with using fish now? , no.
Do I agree with calling somebody stupid because they have a different opinion as mine? , no.
JDA, I've seen some of your work here and it's fantastic, I commend you and you have made strides for the community. But where is the stupidity here? You may not agree with Brandon, but he said the test kits would be 0 and they were. So he was right. I've been told many times there's more than one way to skin a cat and there is. What's done is done, the fish survived. They actually look pretty healthy swimming about.
@brandon429. That statement by you is so demonstrably false that anyone you has even heard of someone who owns a fish tank knows that is complete and utter horsecrap.

Have you ever seen someone who added a bunch of fish to an immature tank and everything crashed? I've seen it more times than I can count. My local LFS says they get complaints about it at least once a month. Have you ever seen someone seriously overfeed and lose livestock. I've seen it a few times.
Who mentioned for the op to put a bunch of fish in now? I know I told him to go slow with adding a new fish and to wait with every new edition. And JDA said the exact same thing. I don't think Brandon said that.
If I want a digital measurement. I'll use a hanna. That is something that is actually accurate and useful.
I'm starting to see post on how Hannah is not so accurate so it's better than seneye? I have not used seneye but it seems they're both hobby grade ways to check your parameters. So both are going to have a reasonable amount of deviation.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014. It was in reference to this statement. JDAs statement is obviously true to even to most novice reefers.

@jda "Tanks can still have issues even after the first part where they have some bacteria, but not enough to quickly multiply."

@brandon429 JDA that is false, never been shown and if you can you can collect the bounty. But we know you won't be posting any proofs. you can claim stupidity exists, but to me making hollow statements with no precedent, measure or proof and with no future proof coming is worse, it's patently misleading.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back