Cycle Reassurance

pwdrippy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice here, first timer. Used Fritz turbo start900 along with the fishless fuel ammonia. Added a double dose of bacteria and the recommended 5ml of ammonia for my 25g tank 6 days ago. I have an Ammonia alert on the inside of the tank but the ammonia never reached the 2ppm that the dose should have been. Instead the alert was at .04ppm I see on the Fritz guide that the ammonia doesn’t need to reach a certain level for sufficient cycling. Is this correct or should I be dosing more ammonia? I see the alert is starting to drop to its original color. Planning on testing water today.

I know patience is key and granted this is day 6 of the cycle, I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a reinforcement for your cycle has to do with ability to carry fish by day 6 after dosing fritz one time

try and find an example of a tank that couldn't carry fish at day six after dosing fritz cycling bac, and link that example

if you can't find any, for any brand much less fritz the #1 brand, that means your tank right now would carry fish/whatever you add. that's the only results on file, isn't it?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. that's the power of bottle bac given 25 years to evolve in ability. look at what they did with pc's in that timeframe

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice here, first timer. Used Fritz turbo start900 along with the fishless fuel ammonia. Added a double dose of bacteria and the recommended 5ml of ammonia for my 25g tank 6 days ago. I have an Ammonia alert on the inside of the tank but the ammonia never reached the 2ppm that the dose should have been. Instead the alert was at .04ppm I see on the Fritz guide that the ammonia doesn’t need to reach a certain level for sufficient cycling. Is this correct or should I be dosing more ammonia? I see the alert is starting to drop to its original color. Planning on testing water today.

I know patience is key and granted this is day 6 of the cycle, I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.
Good advice and opinions here. I would test the cycle - dose 2-ppm ammonia and see what your tests show for remaining ammonia the next day.

I think testing your own tank is the best advice for cycling advice.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You purchased Fritzyme Turbostart for a quick cycle and it did it's job. That you are seeing a decrease in ammonia is a positive confirmation it works. You are ready to start stocking slowly.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see on the Fritz guide that the ammonia doesn’t need to reach a certain level for sufficient cycling. Is this correct or should I be dosing more ammonia? I see the alert is starting to drop to its original color. Planning on testing water today.
You're in good shape. Fritz bacteria is pretty quick, the ammonia alert badge detected some NH3 and is now dropping (it doesn't read the 2ppm total ammonia NH3+NH4, only the small fraction - maybe 10% - that is NH3). If you wanted another independent confirmation that all is good, then you could do a nitrite, NO2 test, and confirm that ammonia is being oxidized to nitrite.
But yeah, sounds like it's all good.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disease prep

that's where your loss rates are at nobody discusses, because old cycling science only focuses on chemistry

the big picture is what's most likely to take your fish within the first eight months

and that answer is disease, from adding unprepped pet store fish into a dry start system. ammonia control isn't the challenge at play, it's stocking order of ops. ammonia control happened when you tipped the bottle of liquid into the tank, that's already been thought out by effective bioengineers.

the fact no new reefers are told this in cycling threads means we're still using and promulgating old cycling science here, which harms fish in the end. nobody posting really wants fish harmed, so one would think the disease thing would be paramount in mention here pretty soon

what's the plan for disease preps/curious to know/now that the cycle is solved

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back