Cycle with dry rock in question

saltwater guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,new to this site,but not to reefs.So, I'm starting a 40.I have about 30lbs of Argromax sand in with old used BLEACHED dry rock.Added water half way (to cover the rock) and have been running about two week.Added a washed raw frozen shrimp just over 10 days ago.So now,testing with strips,I'm not showing Nitrites or Nitrates.Kind of odd,as the shrimp is breaking down.My question is should I add another shrimp?I did add a sprig of sea grass to bring in some bacteria about a week ago.I only has ambient light n the tank during this cycle(?). I go slow on all of my start-ups as time can be your friend.Yes,I'll get better test kits later,just figured that these strips would work ok for the cycle.Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,new to this site,but not to reefs.So, I'm starting a 40.I have about 30lbs of Argromax sand in with old used BLEACHED dry rock.Added water half way (to cover the rock) and have been running about two week.Added a washed raw frozen shrimp just over 10 days ago.So now,testing with strips,I'm not showing Nitrites or Nitrates.Kind of odd,as the shrimp is breaking down.My question is should I add another shrimp?I did add a sprig of sea grass to bring in some bacteria about a week ago.I only has ambient light n the tank during this cycle(?). I go slow on all of my start-ups as time can be your friend.Yes,I'll get better test kits later,just figured that these strips would work ok for the cycle.Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.
I’d take the shrimp out, fill the tank to it’s operating level and get a cheap ammonia test kit. Not familiar with multi test strips, so would be sceptical.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it another week.....your ammo will show up....IMO, I wouldnt even test for that....use a strip to test for Nitrates...once those show up you are done...

OP
OP
S

saltwater guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No,just waiting for the salt water and the shrimp to do it's thing.I did add a very little bit of sand from a running salt water tank.It should have some bacteria in the tank.I just wondered if I need to add more ammonia by another shrimp.I try to stay away from those bottled additives if I don't need to.

OP
OP
S

saltwater guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it another week.....your ammo will show up....IMO, I wouldnt even test for that....use a strip to test for Nitrates...once those show up you are done...
These multistrips test Nitrite and Nitrate.After I know the tank is good I'll drain the water down to the sand and refill with new water to operating level.Just got a ro/di unit that will see plenty of use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back