Cycling 15 gallon

GrizzReacts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my cycling my tank on the 29th of June and started dosing Seachem prime & stablility this past Saturday and it got my ammonia to this I’d say between 0.50 - 0.25 ppm. Should I do a water change to hopefully bring it to 0 or should I continue to wait it out? Really wanted to get fish in here this week any feedback will be appreciated

IMG_9245.jpeg IMG_9244.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there really is ammonia in the tank you should wait it out. It is the ammonia that feeds the growing bacteria to complete part of the nitrogen cycle.
API ammonia test is notorious for showing some ammonia in a tank when it isn’t. My guess is your ammonia is actually at 0.

What is your nitrate level at, I wouldn’t start adding fish until you start getting nitrates.

OP
OP
GrizzReacts

GrizzReacts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there really is ammonia in the tank you should wait it out. It is the ammonia that feeds the growing bacteria to complete part of the nitrogen cycle.
API ammonia test is notorious for showing some ammonia in a tank when it isn’t. My guess is your ammonia is actually at 0.

What is your nitrate level at, I wouldn’t start adding fish until you start getting nitrates.
My nitrate is very high I already have some hermits and two snails in the aquarium

OP
OP
GrizzReacts

GrizzReacts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id probably wait until your nitrites drop (although nitrites aren’t of much concern in saltwater), do a large water change, and then add fish.
Perfect appreciate the support that’s what I will do people were telling me last week that I was fine to add fish but wanted my ammonia down lower before hand

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect appreciate the support that’s what I will do people were telling me last week that I was fine to add fish but wanted my ammonia down lower before hand
Your ammonia should be zero before adding livestock, but I know from experience the api test is unreliable at showing zero ammonia. My oldest tank is several years old and if I tested it with an api test it would show the same amount of ammonia as your test shows.

OP
OP
GrizzReacts

GrizzReacts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia should be zero before adding livestock, but I know from experience the api test is unreliable at showing zero ammonia. My oldest tank is several years old and if I tested it with an api test it would show the same amount of ammonia as your test shows.
I have corals coming tomorrow so I was thinking of doing a water change anyway

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 92 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back