Cycling 180g, stock list thoughts.....

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am in the process of upgrading from a 40g breeder to a 180g. The breeder has seemed to be a great tank for my 4 fish (purple tang, hoeven's wrasse, and 2 Ocellaris) but I wanna give the fish some more room, as well as have more room for other fish and of course, MORE CORALS! Haha.... so keeping in mind I already have those 4 fish.... here is my list of wants for the 180... any advice is appreciated, it's all pretty standard stuff:

Purple tang
Hoeven's wrasse
2 Ocellaris clownfish (one regular, one b&w)
Diamond goby
Blue hippo tang
Yellow tang
Kole tang
Flame angelfish
Carpenter's flasher wrasse
6 green chromis

I'm really hoping that the 4 tangs wouldn't be too much of an issue if introduced properly.... I would love a Heniochus diphreutes also, but I can't find them ANYWHERE to buy.... I'm also hesitant about the flame angelfish, bc I would hate for it to terrorize my mixed reef.... again, any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has a flame angel in his 80 gallon mixed reef and it doesn't seem to bother the coral at all, and i would definitely the tangs can get along if introduced properly and feeding them well... the purple and yellow tangs may fight since they are both zebrasomas but thats about it

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be some fighting between the tangs, but usually will settle down quickly. Try introducing the tangs simultaneously.

Flame angels are hit and miss in a reef. Some nip, some don't, some are fine for awhile, then begin to nip.

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone see the amount of fish being an issue for a tank this size? Even if the Heniochus is included? I think I read somewhere once but I'm not sure... tangs are usually pretty fine together if you just have 1 of each genus right? Like 1 zebrasoma, 1 acanthurus, etc?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm always guilty of overstocking, so I can't comment on the issue of too many fish. I think the list you've created is good, but there is always the inherent risk with tangs, especially as you already have a Purple. The Flame Angel is going to be hit or miss. Sometimes they pick and sometime they are model citizens. It's on the individual fish, no one here can offer a concrete answer.

Any reason you want the Chromis? If you want something that shoals that is a bit flashier you can go with one of the varieties of Anthias.

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like christmas wrasses too but idk if I would have an issue with it and my melanarus/hoeven's?

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do chromis over anthias probably just for the fact that I hear they often pick each other off over time and I can get 6 chromis for $20 locally vs paying for 6 basic anthias for $20 each haha, I will look into a banana wrasse and check it out!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone see the amount of fish being an issue for a tank this size? Even if the Heniochus is included? I think I read somewhere once but I'm not sure... tangs are usually pretty fine together if you just have 1 of each genus right? Like 1 zebrasoma, 1 acanthurus, etc?

yes tangs of different genus's usually do get a long better but its not impossible to have tangs of the same genus together i have a yellow and a sailfin and a brown tang together. and as long as your filtration can handle all the fish and they're happy you'll be fine just make sure they aren't stressed for too long because thats how ich outbreaks can start.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bioload should be fine, just add slowly and test your parameters frequently, and your tank will tell you when the bioload exceeds it's capacity.

Beware of adding a banana wrasse. There are two species that can be called banana wrasse. One is Halichoeres chrysus, this is an excellent addition. The other is Thalassoma lutescens, this is a very aggressive species, and should be avoided in most cases.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP lists a hoeven and carpenter flasher. T. lutescens will behave aggressively toward them.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats funny. I have a Hoeven and a flame wrasse with no issues. I did add the bananna last.

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with mixed reviews I may go on the side of caution and just say no to a banana and a flame angel, just toss in the Heniochus in the flame angels place for sure... anyone know where I can find a Heniochus diphreutes?! I can find the Heniochus acuminata all over but never the Heniochus d.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back