Cycling a new aquarium with fish

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a really great vid. So no ph buffer for top offs but it’s my only source for I have right now to get my water change water ph up.

You shouldn’t have to raise the pH of the water you’re using for water changes, you can just let it sit for a bit with the lid off the container, and it should match your tank. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying about the water changes.

OP
OP
J

jaythenoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the going statement in the reef masses is that cycling with fish is bad, but there's a catch. that can't be a blanket statement, its rare that fish-in cycling actually burns fish (we do not accept that ammonia burnt fish act ok...see mariculture and aquaculture data on free ammonia tolerances for fish, its tight, like kidney control is for animals in general)

Ive never met anyone who put fish into a dry setup without using bottle bac. if they didnt use bottle bac, the fish will dart/gasp and die overnite, max 2 days, water cloudy all fouled...a clear crash.

but the reason all these setups are doing fine, and fish never dart or die, is due to the power of bottle bac. I always find it odd that as a hobby we can't let go of old cycling timeframes, but we're ok not downloading songs at 45 mins/5 mb anymore. We're ok with laser fast data, but laser fast cycling NO GO

:)

the proof of your cycle is literally in the results. the risk of fish-in cycling is disease vector, its not a cycling heresy.
Thanks for all the really detailed info! Here’s a better pic of my clowns.

my water is cloudy ( 2-3 days ) but clearing up! However I think this is due to a bacterial bloom from seachem stability, my fish are still eating and it seems like they hunt the “pods” really interesting to watch. Had what I believe to be a small shrimp to, they ended up hunting him haha they also hang out in the fake coral.
Thank you so much for all the help! :)

DEF70620-20FA-49EE-A362-5F4D946CF421.jpeg C8AFA538-EEF5-4E94-94FA-49F9866B1C98.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back