Cycling a new tank- am I doing this correctly?????

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're right, Im used to being reef laser clean

in any show we see on tv from nature many fish heavy systems have some benthic growths that are plants and macro algae etc, lots of periphyton mixed growths on the rocks etc its true not all systems have to be
reef clean. that uv will help control the top end of it though in ways you will 100% appreciate. a cheap jebao pond sterilizer off amazon, a cheap powerhead, simply run water through it somehow and nobody
says it has to be years on end, use it to kick back a growth and then turn it off a while, keeping it handy is key in larger tanks to save access work

do all that other to the little reef though heh

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're right, Im used to being reef laser clean

in any show we see on tv from nature many fish heavy systems have some benthic growths that are plants and macro algae etc, lots of periphyton mixed growths on the rocks etc its true not all systems have to be
reef clean. that uv will help control the top end of it though in ways you will 100% appreciate. a cheap jebao pond sterilizer off amazon, a cheap powerhead, simply run water through it somehow and nobody
says it has to be years on end, use it to kick back a growth and then turn it off a while, keeping it handy is key in larger tanks to save access work

do all that other to the little reef though heh
I love my UV sterilizer. I am running one on the 80 lagoon mostly for peace of mind as some of these shrooms seem to be highly susceptible to infection. Haven't seen any bacterial issues since I turned it on full time. Knock on wood

On Edit i seen your other post. Tbh as clean and meticulous as I try to keep things, if you look close enough the uglies are still present. Staying up on it and keeping routine greatly helps me keep it under control!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it makes me come off as an elitist spacemonger but that's what happens if you only reef from a vase your whole life. it makes one feel nobody has the excuse, gallons shmallons.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally hook up a 5 micron filter to my overflows in bottom of sump. I try to diligently clean all glass surfaces weekly almost like I have to go to work. The 5 micron makes quick work of everything I scrape off. I then siphon my sand once the water column is clear.
My advice is to get in good habit of husbandry now. Ive gotten my 80 gallon down to about 20 minutes a week taking my time as so its not much like work. If you stay up on it and in control its much easier to keep controlled.
Also great way to remove the gunk and not do water changes if they are not necessary.
My tank is spotless though and I like to keep it that way. Keeps my Cuc working looking for surfaces to clean.
Awesome! I just ordered the new filter sock- I have been using 200 micron. I didn’t quite know the difference between them but will have them by tomorrow! I have been supplemental feeding my CUC since it’s still a new tank but will cut back a little to encourage them more

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I just ordered the new filter sock- I have been using 200 micron. I didn’t quite know the difference between them but will have them by tomorrow! I have been supplemental feeding my CUC since it’s still a new tank but will cut back a little to encourage them more
Sweet you will notice a huge difference in water quality using the 5 micron for cleanup the way I described. 5 micron isn't really good for long term use as they clog pretty quickly. I run a 20 micron sock if I want to keep it hooked up for longer periods of time. Usually just 5 micron for overnight use and cleaning does the trick.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet you will notice a huge difference in water quality using the 5 micron for cleanup the way I described. 5 micron isn't really good for long term use as they clog pretty quickly. I run a 20 micron sock if I want to keep it hooked up for longer periods of time. Usually just 5 micron for overnight use and cleaning does the trick.
It’s amazing how this stuff is literally down to a science!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing how this stuff is literally down to a science!
I picked up the 5 micron sock idea from folks using it to clean systems and rid of certain dinos. You will see major improvement in water quality just after being hooked up for a night. There really is nothing wrong with whipping that tank into shape and be in full control of whats growing on surfaces and such. You getting those surfaces clean will help put you Cuc right to work when they arrive. Scavenging for surfaces to clean as opposed to fields of algae they seem to ignore haha.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the 5 micron sock idea from folks using it to clean systems and rid of certain dinos. You will see major improvement in water quality just after being hooked up for a night. There really is nothing wrong with whipping that tank into shape and be in full control of whats growing on surfaces and such. You getting those surfaces clean will help put you Cuc right to work when they arrive. Scavenging for surfaces to clean as opposed to fields of algae they seem to ignore haha.
I haven’t noticed any growth on my rocks. When I do should I try to clean that or leave it be?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t noticed any growth on my rocks. When I do should I try to clean that or leave it be?
Leave it be. Feed you livestock and not your tank. Feed just enough to keep fat bellies on fish and whatever falls to Cuc is plenty sufficient.. I feed my fish from the end of chopsticks or tongs to accomplish this.
I personally feel its important very early on to try and keep nutrient levels controlled as tank matures. You don't want to bottom nutrients out. Just want to keep them present so you don't run into dinos or other issues because you have 0 nutrients.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it be. Feed you livestock and not your tank. Feed just enough to keep fat bellies on fish and whatever falls to Cuc is plenty sufficient.. I feed my fish from the end of chopsticks or tongs to accomplish this.
I personally feel its important very early on to try and keep nutrient levels controlled as tank matures. You don't want to bottom nutrients out. Just want to keep them present so you don't run into dinos or other issues because you have 0 nutrients.
I have not added anything to the tank yet other than a CUC. We set the tank up for a single species that require a mature tank so I have been feeding the CUC a few sinking pellets every other day to keep feeding them (mostly feeding the crabs) and the bacteria

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these Diatoms or something else? Will it help/hurt to attempt to scrub them off when I do my water change tomorrow?
D8F1AE74-3652-40EB-9545-0C74CBDFF122.jpeg
won't hurt to scrub but they'll be back the next day

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do y’all that use UV sterilizers run them on a schedule like once a week or on an as needed basis?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not added anything to the tank yet other than a CUC. We set the tank up for a single species that require a mature tank so I have been feeding the CUC a few sinking pellets every other day to keep feeding them (mostly feeding the crabs) and the bacteria
Perfect. Keep feeding crabs same way and keep it just as tight when you add fish and you can't fail.
Whats your ammonia and how many days have you been feeding crabs this way?

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Keep feeding crabs same way and keep it just as tight when you add fish and you can't fail.
Whats your ammonia and how many days have you been feeding crabs this way?
We’ve had the snails and crabs a week and ammonia according to the API test is between 0-.25ppm not quite either but somewhere in between. I haven’t checked parameters tonight yet. Nitrates have stayed below 10ppm and I did a 10% water change 6 days ago.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man ok!
Can't speak on that but @Thales may have some insight.
Thanks! I’ve got a few people helping me with Octo care from Tonmo that have kept them for years it’s just the initial tank set up that’s confusing. Oddly more so than actually keeping them! Seeing all the pretty fish and corals has gotten me though- we’re picking up a 30.2 Waterbox Saturday for fish, nems and corals. My husband wants a pair of clown fish so bad

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back