Cycling a new tank

luke2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cycling my new tank I’m about just under 2 weeks in and after the first week I had the ammonia spike it went about 4.0ppm for a day then went back down to 0 but since then nothings happened I’ve tested everyday and same results
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
I have about 70lb caribsea life rock
dry Sand
I’ve been dosing Nite out 2 every other day (I’ll link a picture)

is the tank cycled or not?

thanks in advance

7839A1CF-BFB8-4871-8318-B38948E73D1D.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are done can begin reefing for sure. No need to make it run twice, once is enough given this long if there’s rocks and sand for it to attach to

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the reason why is what we track for cycling has changed, only ammonia matters now. Nitrate is for color tuning, dinos control and management of cyano etc, nutrients. We have found no conditions where bottle bac fails to work in typical web posts, theyve got it down.

I feel this thread collects sufficient link proof to show how cycling trends have changed, it is not about getting zero ammonia zero nitrite and some nitrate because some test kits will never give you that combo, we have to know when a cycle is ready anyway.

we show where tanks getting some ammonia, some nitrite and some nitrate were exactly as cycled as the classic lucky ones getting 0/0/X

that’s the first reef cycling thread that does not assume every test kit level posted from readers is accurate. We can cycle using other methods than test kits, # of days underwater one strong indicator

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I haven’t had a nitrate spike??
If you want a little more confidence, dose your tank to 2ppm of ammonia and see if it goes down to 0 ppm(or very close depending on test kit, .25 would be close enough) in 24 hours.

This isn’t necessary, but might make you feel better. I agree with the others, you are cycled.

OP
OP
luke2020

luke2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a little more confidence, dose your tank to 2ppm of ammonia and see if it goes down to 0 ppm(or very close depending on test kit, .25 would be close enough) in 24 hours.

This isn’t necessary, but might make you feel better. I agree with the others, you are cycled.
Okay thank you

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I second the dosing of 2ppm ammonia thing, and seeing if ammonia and nitrite is at 0 after 24 hours. For many people, the whole point of cycling is to ensure your nitrifiers can handle 2ppm of ammonia a day, which they correlate to the amount of ammonia produced by a fully stocked aquarium. Some people are fine with less, because they would stock their aquarium slowly anyways, and so the nitrifiers still have time to continue propagating even after live stock has started to be added.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back