OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am not. Transferred the rock from old tank which was cooked, so basically starting with dry rock. Also used Carib Sea live sand.
Also is now a good time to put Ca Rx on line?
Ok, don't add any more ammonia. You may want to do a fairly large water change now. Then give it just a little longer to see how your testing looks.

And no, no need for a CaRx yet. You shouldn't have anything using Alk and Calc in your system so no reason to replace it. You won't need a CaRx until you have healthy, growing, SPS coral.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread- have- have learned a lot. My new IM 112 lagoon is 9 days old. I put in live rock from my LFS and was able to transfer over some of my live rock from my existing tank. I could not move it all because I did not want to wipe out my bio filtration in that tank.
I do have two MP blocks in my sump on my new tank as well.
I added all my water and got everything up and running. No skimmer yet and no refugium set up yet.
I added some rapid start bacteria from my LFS and half a shrimp.
My tests yesterday were:
SG 1.025
Temp- 77.1
KH 8.5
Ammonia 3.0 on Hannah Checker
Nitrates 5
Nitrites .25

My question is do I let the shrimp decay to nothing- or do I remove it and ghost feed a little so the bacteria have food.
My guess is my Ammonia will remain constant as long as the shrimp is in their decaying( it has been at the same level for 4 days now).
I was planning on a large water change this weekend.

Thanks.
I would remove it now. If you started with live rock, and it has living critters on it like good live rock will, I wouldn't want ammonia that high.
What you are seeing isn't typical for a live rock started tank. Normally it is hard to build up ammonia or nitrites.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, don't add any more ammonia. You may want to do a fairly large water change now. Then give it just a little longer to see how your testing looks.

And no, no need for a CaRx yet. You shouldn't have anything using Alk and Calc in your system so no reason to replace it. You won't need a CaRx until you have healthy, growing, SPS coral.
Just retested and Nitrite is reading 0.5 per Red Sea test kit.

jalewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking the time!! Nice job!
This article has helped me better understand the cycling process. I'm new to saltwater aquariums and have wondered about the cycling, or lack of, in my tank.

I have a 40gal tank that I started with CaribSea Arag-Alive and LifeRock. Let tank run for two weeks before taking any measurements. First readings were:
Spec Grav 1.024
Temp 82 F
ph 8.0
Alkalinity 12
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2 ppm
Calcium 450 ppm
Magnesium 1350 ppm
I did not take an Ammonia reading because I didn't have a test kit yet.

Then I dosed the tank with a bottle of Instant Ocean Bio-Spira. Put in two clownfish the next day. Did not take another reading until four days later. I only measured Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 4 ppm

Haven't conducted any water changes yet. Plan to do that tomorrow. Is it possible my initial ammonia spike occurred before I did my test after adding the clowns? How often should I be testing Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels now during initial cycling of the tank? How often should I test after tank is "established"?

Plan to add some cleaners (snails, etc.) in another 2 - 3 weeks. To soon? Can I add them sooner?
Then I plan to start corals, and probably another fish, at some point after that.

Any comments on my process so far?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article has helped me better understand the cycling process. I'm new to saltwater aquariums and have wondered about the cycling, or lack of, in my tank.

I have a 40gal tank that I started with CaribSea Arag-Alive and LifeRock. Let tank run for two weeks before taking any measurements. First readings were:
Spec Grav 1.024
Temp 82 F
ph 8.0
Alkalinity 12
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2 ppm
Calcium 450 ppm
Magnesium 1350 ppm
I did not take an Ammonia reading because I didn't have a test kit yet.

Then I dosed the tank with a bottle of Instant Ocean Bio-Spira. Put in two clownfish the next day. Did not take another reading until four days later. I only measured Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 4 ppm

Haven't conducted any water changes yet. Plan to do that tomorrow. Is it possible my initial ammonia spike occurred before I did my test after adding the clowns? How often should I be testing Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels now during initial cycling of the tank? How often should I test after tank is "established"?

Plan to add some cleaners (snails, etc.) in another 2 - 3 weeks. To soon? Can I add them sooner?
Then I plan to start corals, and probably another fish, at some point after that.

Any comments on my process so far?
Thanks.
I wouldn't bother testing ammonia or nitrite again. I also wouldn't do a water change. No reason imo. You didn't see an ammonia spike because of the live rock and Bio-Spira.

You can add a CuC once you start seeing stuff growing on your rock for them to eat, unless you want to feed them something like algae wafers. 2-3 weeks would be about normal, but every tank is different.

For coral, I would think you could add soft corals in another month or so. I would wait until month 3 or 4 before adding LPS or SPS.

Only comments would be not to overfeed the tank as it matures, and add to it slowly.

jalewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother testing ammonia or nitrite again. I also wouldn't do a water change. No reason imo. You didn't see an ammonia spike because of the live rock and Bio-Spira.

You can add a CuC once you start seeing stuff growing on your rock for them to eat, unless you want to feed them something like algae wafers. 2-3 weeks would be about normal, but every tank is different.

For coral, I would think you could add soft corals in another month or so. I would wait until month 3 or 4 before adding LPS or SPS.

Only comments would be not to overfeed the tank as it matures, and add to it slowly.
Thanks for the advise

This is what I have going on in the tank. Time for a CUC?

How long has it been "in production"? I'm curious because I just started my first tank three weeks ago and I'm getting algae on the rocks like you have, although not quite as much. But my sand is also getting the "ugly brown" diatoms (at least that's what I think it is). Your sand looks spotless, like a Caribbean beach!

jalewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I said water change I guess I was really just referring to cleaning the sand, etc. with a siphon. Not a full blown change. I figured I'd get a decent amount of water to replace doing the cleaning.

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 12 for my 112 Lagoon. I do have some brown diatoms appearing on my sand bed and rocks. I have had the lights off until today.
I tested and then did a 15% water change.
Before water change
SG 1.025
Temp 77.1
PH 8.2
KH 8.4
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .05
Ammonia 3.64

After water change
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 3.64

The Ammonia was checked with my Hannah Checker, it came out exactly the same each time( 3.0 and then multiplied by the 1.214).
So I checked my original tank- same reading..
I went back and used my Red Sea test kit- Ammonia was 0....

Anyone else have issues with your Hannah Checker? Am I using it incorrectly??

Hoping to add a clean up crew.. but I do not want to if I have Ammonia. I will check again tomorrow am.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 12 for my 112 Lagoon. I do have some brown diatoms appearing on my sand bed and rocks. I have had the lights off until today.
I tested and then did a 15% water change.
Before water change
SG 1.025
Temp 77.1
PH 8.2
KH 8.4
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .05
Ammonia 3.64

After water change
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 3.64

The Ammonia was checked with my Hannah Checker, it came out exactly the same each time( 3.0 and then multiplied by the 1.214).
So I checked my original tank- same reading..
I went back and used my Red Sea test kit- Ammonia was 0....

Anyone else have issues with your Hannah Checker? Am I using it incorrectly??

Hoping to add a clean up crew.. but I do not want to if I have Ammonia. I will check again tomorrow am.
I would mix up a little fresh saltwater and test it to verify your Hanna checker. I have a feeling you do not have ammonia.

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post, thank you! I'm very new to aquariums so this helped clear things up a lot.

One question: I only have fake (plastic and resin) rock in my tank. And aragonite sand. Will the bacteria be able to live and reproduce in this environment? Or do I absolutely have to get porous live or dry rock?

I've started the cycle 3 days ago with Dr Tims ammonia and Dr Tims One and Only (bacteria in a bottle).

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post, thank you! I'm very new to aquariums so this helped clear things up a lot.

One question: I only have fake (plastic and resin) rock in my tank. And aragonite sand. Will the bacteria be able to live and reproduce in this environment? Or do I absolutely have to get porous live or dry rock?

I've started the cycle 3 days ago with Dr Tims ammonia and Dr Tims One and Only (bacteria in a bottle).
There are other ways to get more surface area, such as with special bricks you can put in your sump. Personally, I don't know anyone with a reef tank that uses plastic and resin rock so not sure I can be much help with that.

Sorry!

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other ways to get more surface area, such as with special bricks you can put in your sump. Personally, I don't know anyone with a reef tank that uses plastic and resin rock so not sure I can be much help with that.

Sorry!
No problem. Its not a reef tank though, its a fish only tank.
But I might get some good, porous dry rock anyway for the bacteria to thrive on.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested today and Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates=10
All via Red Sea test kits.
Looking good! That is exactly what you want to be seeing.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks......................now I have to deal with a bryopsis problem. Received Fluconazole today and will start treatment tomorrow.

Back