Cycling both the Display and Quarantine Tank Help

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

This is my first large tank and I'm almost ready to finally add saltwater. However, the process of cycling the tank has been a bit of a conundrum for me. I want to quarantine every addition to the tank and I'm going to start with a Royal Gramma. I was wondering how I should go about this process. My current idea is...

1.) Add the bacteria to the quarantine tank then the Royal Gramma and quarantine for a few weeks

2.) While the fish is quarantining, take another bottle of bacteria and cycle the display tank (I'm using dry rock and sand) while the fish is in quarantine

3.) When the quarantine's done, just add the fish if the parameters are safe.

How would you go about it and what'd be the most efficient use of time while the DT is being set up?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the TTM method and avoid having to cycle a QT tank. For most corals you really dont need to cycle a tank since they get most of their food from light

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A62A5FCA-4FBB-4E8C-AE2C-6F1F0A48E5AC.jpeg

Tank Transfer Method. Search it here on R2R. I had a tiny Purple Tang in there— now he’s in my display tank, full grown. Best wishes!

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same confused situation as you. A few months ago I tried to quarantine a few chromis (without my DT set up yet) by adding turbo start 900, then the fish in a medicated bath a few days later. No luck there. They all died. I cleaned and sterilized the QT. Since then I have cycled the QT with damsels and Dr. Tim's One and Only
They have been in the the tank for 5 weeks and all parameters are in check. My plan is to cycle the main display tank, give the damsels to fellow hobbiest or the lfs and introduce new fish with meds and hope my biological filter somewhat holds up thru all this to reduce water changes. Any input is greatly appreciated.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in the same confused situation as you. A few months ago I tried to quarantine a few chromis (without my DT set up yet) by adding turbo start 900, then the fish in a medicated bath a few days later. No luck there. They all died. I cleaned and sterilized the QT. Since then I have cycled the QT with damsels and Dr. Tim's One and Only
They have been in the the tank for 5 weeks and all parameters are in check. My plan is to cycle the main display tank, give the damsels to fellow hobbiest or the lfs and introduce new fish with meds and hope my biological filter somewhat holds up thru all this to reduce water changes. Any input is greatly appreciated.
First - if you're going to QT - make sure 1) you know the exact tank (QT) volume - so that you can dose medications exactly. 2) make sure that whatever medications aren't going to kill your biological filter (i.e. the Fritz) - if the medications kill it - the fish will die. 3). make sure you're getting healthy fish to start. Avoid trying to get the cheapest fish - get the best fish. 4). If you have fish in the tank (the damsels) - in theory you should be taking them out, sterilizing the tank, putting in fresh water (because you can't be sure that those fish weren't carrying CI). Always clean the tank before adding 'new' fish. IMHO people that are using the same filter media, etc from one QT to the next - aren't really performing QT (unless using treatment- but again - that can damage the biofilter).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back