Cycling dry rock question...?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some dry rock in a bin that I need to cycle, I have no heater and the rock HAS to be cycled in the garage (usually 50 degrees) I have one of those seedling heat mats or a heat lamp, can I use either of these to heat the water instead of a heater, what is the minimum temperature for BB to thrive.

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some dry rock in a bin that I need to cycle, I have no heater and the rock HAS to be cycled in the garage (usually 50 degrees) I have one of those seedling heat mats or a heat lamp, can I use either of these to heat the water instead of a heater, what is the minimum temperature for BB to thrive.
I doubt those would keep the water hot enough or accurate enough to cycle the rock.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen them killed by cold garage temps, they just take longer to reproduce on surfaces. any form of heat is ok, and if you didnt heat it would still cycle perhaps a bit slower. not orders slower, maybe a couple weeks extra time. No condition in a garage can sterilize/kill/prevent the growth of bacteria in a hydrated media

Koi ponds freeze routinely. If bac died, the bioloading from all the fish w kill it overnite

Last edited:
OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen them killed by cold garage temps, they just take longer to reproduce on surfaces. any form of heat is ok, and if you didnt heat it would still cycle perhaps a bit slower. not orders slower, maybe a couple weeks extra time. No condition in a garage can sterilize/kill/prevent the growth of bacteria in a hydrated media
OK thanks I thought that would be the case, but figured I’d ask

Nano10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the temp doesn't drop to freezing the bb will do their thing. The colder the temp the slower theyll reproduce but they will.

Rik01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a video from Dr. Tim that I believe Brs put on youtube . He was giving a presentation on cycling tanks, he stated that there is a cold water bacteria and it grows at temperatures around 50 degrees and below . he said it was different than the bacteria needed for normal temperature aquariums. If i can find the link i'll post it .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDI7sxqC-ss . found it

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy a heater, better yet buy three as you'll need them sooner or later. I'm a little concerned about you not wanting to purchase a heater to properly cycle your rock. This is not a hobby to just wing it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we search out how koi ponds retain their biofiltration even during a hard freeze, we'd have some counter info to consider on degrees of cold it takes to stop a cycle. I truly don't know how they do it, am suspecting a combo of insulating biofilm, microbial dormancy vs death, and reduction in bioload from fish metabolism dropping.

Someone check it out to see

My whole reef ran at 68 for two months during heater fail I didn't know, so we at least know 68 won't do it, my corals survived but barely. They bleached then thankfully came back. I just figured my lfs was selling me crap water lol but it was indeed my freezing tank

Here is three year garage rock set, three winters, passing oxidation testing which proves they self sustain given water only

Last edited:
OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy a heater, better yet buy three as you'll need them sooner or later. I'm a little concerned about you not wanting to purchase a heater to properly cycle your rock. This is not a hobby to just wing it.
I have multiple heaters, But they are all in use. Check out my build thread and you'll know why. And, I don't "just wing it"

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple heaters, But they are all in use. Check out my build thread and you'll know why. And, I don't "just wing it"
Not willing to purchase another heater to properly heat the water to cycle your rock is winging it. Sorry, but heaters are cheap.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grab a cheap heater from petco/petsmart/walmart for around $20. You'll always find a good use for it after you are done cycling the rocks.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grab a cheap heater from petco/petsmart/walmart for around $20. You'll always find a good use for it after you are done cycling the rocks.
Thanks! I probably will, was just exploring other options. Thanks for not assuming I wasn't willing to buy one and criticize me as @Scorpius did

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Dr. Tim video.
I'm sure we dive too deeply into minutia sometimes, but if you'll be counting on that rock from day one as your tank's life support, I'd at least consider it.

HAS to be garage? Can't do like shawshank redemption and sneak the rock into the basement a pocketful at a time ;Joyful

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Dr. Tim video.
I'm sure we dive too deeply into minutia sometimes, but if you'll be counting on that rock from day one as your tank's life support, I'd at least consider it.

HAS to be garage? Can't do like shawshank redemption and sneak the rock into the basement a pocketful at a time ;Joyful
Lol my basement is under a 180 year old house and musty. And the rooms are carpeted and I don’t have any more room as I have at the moment including reptiles 6 tanks loool

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't need to cycle dry rock. Just wash it off with RODI.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say i wasn't willing was just curious if there were other options.
You said you had no heater and wanted to know if seedling heat mats or a heat lamp worked to heat up aquarium water. No one heats up aquarium water with this method. Ever. In the over 25 years I've had aquariums I've never seen this method used. Ever. From anyone. With EXACTLY what you said one would deduce that you don't have the money or time to buy a heater and why one would conclude you are winging it.

I'll be sure to steer wayyyyy clear of any of your threads from now on since you say one thing and mean the complete opposite. Good day sir!

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you had no heater and wanted to know if seedling heat mats or a heat lamp worked to heat up aquarium water. No one heats up aquarium water with this method. Ever. In the over 25 years I've had aquariums I've never seen this method used. Ever. From anyone. With EXACTLY what you said one would deduce that you don't have the money or time to buy a heater and why one would conclude you are winging it.

I'll be sure to steer wayyyyy clear of any of your threads from now on since you say one thing and mean the complete opposite. Good day sir!
Okey dokey never did I say I didn’t have the time or money. You are the one jumping to conclusions . I guess we can agree to disagree and get over it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back