Cycling dry rock question...?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you had no heater and wanted to know if seedling heat mats or a heat lamp worked to heat up aquarium water. No one heats up aquarium water with this method. Ever. In the over 25 years I've had aquariums I've never seen this method used. Ever. From anyone. With EXACTLY what you said one would deduce that you don't have the money or time to buy a heater and why one would conclude you are winging it.

I'll be sure to steer wayyyyy clear of any of your threads from now on since you say one thing and mean the complete opposite. Good day sir!
Crawl out of his butt dude. He’s asking about pre-cycling some rock not setting up a whole tank like that. Seriously calm down

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you had no heater and wanted to know if seedling heat mats or a heat lamp worked to heat up aquarium water. No one heats up aquarium water with this method. Ever. In the over 25 years I've had aquariums I've never seen this method used. Ever. From anyone. With EXACTLY what you said one would deduce that you don't have the money or time to buy a heater and why one would conclude you are winging it.

I'll be sure to steer wayyyyy clear of any of your threads from now on since you say one thing and mean the complete opposite. Good day sir!
Is this really necessary?

AndCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still New to all this, and honestly don’t know much about cycling rock. However I bought my tank used, and got the fish and everything that came with it. I kept as much of the water as I could. It was a pretty long ride back home, and when I got home, the temp of the water was down to like 60 or so. Only had two heaters and three buckets of water I needed to heat back up as quick as possible to get the fish back into the system. I used a heat lamp and a power head to heat up one of the brutes with water in it. I’m sure it’s not optimal, but a heat lamp will work.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still New to all this, and honestly don’t know much about cycling rock. However I bought my tank used, and got the fish and everything that came with it. I kept as much of the water as I could. It was a pretty long ride back home, and when I got home, the temp of the water was down to like 60 or so. Only had two heaters and three buckets of water I needed to heat back up as quick as possible to get the fish back into the system. I used a heat lamp and a power head to heat up one of the brutes with water in it. I’m sure it’s not optimal, but a heat lamp will work.
Cool thanks

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I felt the same way
I think yours is a great question... not from a being cheap or cut corners point of view, but does the bacteria we want in our tank really need heat to grow? If we can set in garage without heat (saving energy) and it cycles similar but takes longer, it makes sense. If it grows bacteria that won’t make it at 78 degrees, it makes absolutely no sense.
I don’t have the answer, but really interested in finding out.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think yours is a great question... not from a being cheap or cut corners point of view, but does the bacteria we want in our tank really need heat to grow? If we can set in garage without heat (saving energy) and it cycles similar but takes longer, it makes sense. If it grows bacteria that won’t make it at 78 degrees, it makes absolutely no sense.
I don’t have the answer, but really interested in finding out.
Yeah thanks! I hope to get a definitive answer as well

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I probably will, was just exploring other options. Thanks for not assuming I wasn't willing to buy one and criticize me as @Scorpius did
No problem... maybe he was just having a bad day at work, lol. I have several of those cheap heaters now to throw into quarantine tanks, heat new saltwater, etc... I keep the good ones for my DT.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po
No problem... maybe he was just having a bad day at work, lol. I have several of those cheap heaters now to throw into quarantine tanks, heat new saltwater, etc... I keep the good ones for my DT.
Thanks for the tips and yeah, maybe it was just a bad day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back