Cycling dry rock?

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of dry Marco rock that I am going to be using in my reef build in a few months.
in a couple of weeks I am throwing it all into a brute can with saltwater, heat and flow. I realize this is probably unnecessary as Marco rock has little (usually) attached organic, but I have the time so I am soaking the stuff for a month.
My question is whether I should add a cycling product like Dr. Tim’s? Do I gain anything like “better” cycled rock to add to the tank? If you think I should add a bacteria source please make plus or minus recommendations.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my rock in the tub. Dose some ammonia and any bottle bacteria and leave it for a month. You can skip the bottle bac, but it’s just an insurance for me to ensure my rock will be cycle in a month. I read natural way may take a couple of months.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I tried both brand of bottle bacteria. Can’t comment on long term benefits, in fritz zyme 9 seems to work faster than microbacter7. Both works. Fritz is live bacteria versus dormant bacteria in microbacter. I got a small bottle of fritz from Amazon for $5. I think that for cycling 10g tank, but in our case who cares Since we are not pressed on time. The bacteria will multiply as long as they are in the right condition.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the bottled bacteria you could also add some pieces of live rock and sand from an established system which would greatly help in colonizing the dry rock with beneficial bacteria and such increasing the biodiversity of all the rock in your tank. This would help in quickly and heavily seeding your tank with good results.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the bottled bacteria you could also add some pieces of live rock and sand from an established system which would greatly help in colonizing the dry rock with beneficial bacteria and such increasing the biodiversity of all the rock in your tank. This would help in quickly and heavily seeding your tank with good results.
Just beware that adding anything from an established system can potentially transfer the pathogen to the new system. I did exactly that (using seeded bio media) and to be safe I’m going to continue fishless cycle for 72days.

The keyword is potentially. Not sure how high is the risk, but it’s definitely more than 0.

my opinion is $5 bottle bacteria is the safest way to go. I’m new myself so take my advise accordingly.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you're using Marco rock, now's the time to let it sit in the tub for a week and test for PO4. If you have a level you don't like it's best to deal with it now rather than in your DT
Once you're happy with the PO4 level you can start cycling it

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I tried both brand of bottle bacteria. Can’t comment on long term benefits, in fritz zyme 9 seems to work faster than microbacter7. Both works. Fritz is live bacteria versus dormant bacteria in microbacter. I got a small bottle of fritz from Amazon for $5. I think that for cycling 10g tank, but in our case who cares Since we are not pressed on time. The bacteria will multiply as long as they are in the right condition.

The non dormant version is fritz 900. Microbacter7 and fritz 9 are both dormant (no clue how that works or if I am using the right terminology)

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh , I didn’t know that. The fritz 9 have the word ‘live bacteria’ on the bottle. I assume it’s alive. Apologize if I’m giving wrong information.

either way i observed fritz 9 start reducing ammonia in less than 48hoirs but microbacter7 seems to not do anything in the first week. I’m sure it’s doing something but the reduction in ammonia is not measurable.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw rock and bottled bacteria (I prefer dr tims, fritz, or any other that only contains nitrifying bacteria until after you have an established ammonia and nitrite filter) it in a tub with a pump and a heater.

With slightly lower salinity than what you would keep in a tank, as well as making it warmer (80-84), you can speed up the process. Dr Tim Hovenac has a great video on cycling when he did his macna talk.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back