Cycling issue! Need help.. or not ?! :)

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !
I'm not sure if I really need help or if I'm worrying too much for nothing!
I am currently in the process of cycling my Waterbox AIO 20 gallon aquarium. I put in the water on January 19, with Caribsea Ocean Direct living sand, and around ten pounds of Caribsea Liferock.
On January 20th I added 4 drops of the Dr.tims ammonia product, along with a full bottle of one and only dr.tims. When I received the bacteria, they were very cold with some ice cubes inside (here it is on average -20 degrees Celsius at this time of year). In doubt that the bacteria were alive, I added half a bottle of Fritz turbo 900 around January 23. On this date of January 23, my ammonia was already at 4ppm (API test) so I did not add any ammonia until the transformation into nitrite began.
As of today, February 5, my nitrites seem to still be high, between 0.1 and 1 (salifert test) and have been at this level for about 1 week, my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrates seem very high, between 50 and 100 ppm (salifert test).
My first doubt is the nitrates, why are they so high? Is this normal?
(Note that initially, when I brewed my first batch of salt water, I used osmosis water from a pet store near us, and a few days later when I received my tds meter, I realized that their water tested at 032 ppm, and that I have currently received my own reverse osmosis unit which tests at 0 ppm at the outlet, and that I use this pure water for my ATO)
A first friend advised me to put a raw shrimp to thaw in my aquarium to check if my cycle is indeed underway.
A second friend advises me to do a 50% water change and recheck my nitrites/nitrates afterwards.
I would like to have your opinions here, in order to see what would be best to do!
I'm in no rush to cycle my aquarium, on the contrary, but I just want to be reassured that I've done things right and that everything is on track for cycling!
This is not my first experience in saltwater, but the first time I have done my cycle myself at the beginning!

Thank you all, and I'll leave you with photos of my tests from today (February 5) as well as my current set up !

Ps : my skimmer is not plugged for the time of cycling, and no light too !
1000001923.jpg
1000001924.jpg
1000001926.jpg
1000001927.jpg

OP
OP
JcK03

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrite reading is throwing off nitrates which is expected and your ammonia reads low. As long as it was higher before and came down your good to go.
So did you think I just have to let it go without doing nothing ? I'm on the good way ?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you're fine if you want to add some fish now, start with just one or two.

Once you added the live bacteria products, ocean direct sand and fritz turbo start you could add a fish right away.
I have done so several times with fritz turbo start (this is how I set up tanks for QT of new fish and it's fine).

There is a detailed testing thread of these different live bacteria products if you want to learn more

OP
OP
JcK03

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you're fine if you want to add some fish now, start with just one or two.

Once you added the live bacteria products, ocean direct sand and fritz turbo start you could add a fish right away.
I have done so several times with fritz turbo start (this is how I set up tanks for QT of new fish and it's fine).

There is a detailed testing thread of these different live bacteria products if you want to learn more
Ok thank you my friend ! And if I want to add some easy corals, like ricordea mush, clove polyps and sympodium, how much time I need to wait ?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you my friend ! And if I want to add some easy corals, like ricordea mush, clove polyps and sympodium, how much time I need to wait ?
Personally I would wait until you're through the "ugly" stage (algae outbreaks) before adding coral. Too much algae growing on or near them can cause problems and it's much easier to clean the rocks and sand without coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back