Cycling quarried dry rock

geodehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 125lbs of quarried dry rock and was wondering what would be the best method to get it ready for my tank. Has anybody used this rock and what method did you go with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 125lbs of quarried dry rock and was wondering what would be the best method to get it ready for my tank. Has anybody used this rock and what method did you go with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Do you know what kind of rock exactly it is?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not. I got it from Billy's reef rocks out of Florida. I was quarried out of a place that used to be part of the ocean. It is totally dry and dead rock.

LOL oh alright as long as its not granite or limestone then....

In order to 'seed' the dead rock you need some live rock (either from the LFS or a fellow reefer) to jump start your rock. Be selective of the tanks your buy rock from as some tanks carry with them diseases like ICH and Brook that you don't want in your system also.

Also, make SURE that if you want a reef tank you don't introduce LR from a tank that has used copper. If you want fish only tank than this isn't so much of a concern.

OP
OP
geodehunter

geodehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL oh alright as long as its not granite or limestone then....

In order to 'seed' the dead rock you need some live rock (either from the LFS or a fellow reefer) to jump start your rock. Be selective of the tanks your buy rock from as some tanks carry with them diseases like ICH and Brook that you don't want in your system also.

Also, make SURE that if you want a reef tank you don't introduce LR from a tank that has used copper. If you want fish only tank than this isn't so much of a concern.

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if your starting off with completely dead rock with no attached organics (as did I- 80lbs brs reef saver in a 180) I’d try to keep it as clean as possible moving forward and avoid introducing any potential nastiest on a piece of live rock. Diseases live ich, velvet and brook for example, and copper that may have been used in the system, as described above

I cycled mine with biospira bottled bacteria and ace hardware 10% ammonia solution.

Used the hamzareef calculator to get my math right, took 4 cycles of 2ppm, wait, test, redose.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back