[Cycling Question] No drop in ammonia after 3 weeks

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm "cooking" some freshly bleached rocks in a food grade bucket. I added Dr. Tim's ammonia, microbacter, a heater set to 80, and a powerhead. Testing with a Red Sea kit.

After 3 weeks I'm seeing no drop in ammonia. I feel like by 3 weeks I usually see SOME nitrate forming. Think anything is wrong?

NOTE: I did see a heterotrophic bacteria bloom after about 1.5 weeks so the water isn’t toxic

Chefandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turn the heater down to 76. but no I don't think anything is wrong, the rocks were live rock? Did you put any organics in the bucket?

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I’ve seen a tons of threads saying that bacteria grows way faster in the 80s when there’s no other life in the tank

Chefandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I’ve seen a tons of threads saying that bacteria grows way faster in the 80s when there’s no other life in the tank
did you put bacteria in there? something organic to start the cycle, I've used fish food to start a bacteria cycle before. 80 works but I typically will start a cycle with the same parameters used in the tank normally

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious thing.

What is your ammonia level?
I would add some One and Only.

evilchef70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm "cooking" some freshly bleached rocks in a food grade bucket. I added Dr. Tim's ammonia, microbacter, a heater set to 80, and a powerhead. Testing with a Red Sea kit.

After 3 weeks I'm seeing no drop in ammonia. I feel like by 3 weeks I usually see SOME nitrate forming. Think anything is wrong?

NOTE: I did see a heterotrophic bacteria bloom after about 1.5 weeks so the water isn’t toxic
I would turn the temp back to 78 deg. It is going to take time. My 300 gal did this. The ammonia locked up in the big rocks and eventually let loose. Dr. Tim’s will do just fine. So your on the right path. Just let it work.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back