Cycling question

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 15 of cycling with dr Tim’s am I ok to add fish? Ammonia has not changed at all
Parameters
Ammonia:2ppm (Red Sea)
Ph:8.2
Alk:9.3 (Hanna)
Salinity:1.026
Nitrate: 2ppm (Red Sea)

3556870D-616E-40AD-976B-46C678DA3061.jpeg

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I thought also just odd ammonia is still 2ppm
Yea that's strange after 15 days... I'd say one more week test again if it's still at 2ppm somethings up. Maybe try retesting ammonia maybe you made a slight mistake with the test and it's giving you a false reading. If you clean the vial with tap water make sure it's COMPLETELY clean and dry.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean with rodi water and I have been testing every other day and I just did a 30% water change to see if I could notice a difference in ammonia test there was 0 so maybe I overdosed ammonia and it’s much higher then 2ppm?

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean with rodi water and I have been testing every other day and I just did a 30% water change to see if I could notice a difference in ammonia test there was 0 so maybe I overdosed ammonia and it’s much higher then 2ppm?
Yea only thing I think it could be. I'd either do another WC or wait a week and see if it goes down at all.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when is the last time you added ammonia? Day 1? What are Nitrites at? You should be seeing Nitrate raise, even if you did overdose ammonia.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

14 pages on how to fix that tank above.

step 1 change water

step two, add some life

step three put down the test kits

step four post us proof pics I link them to page fifteen.

*as we debate what is shown for a year there, remember we aren't talking test kit stated params there for pages. we think those are wrong in nearly every stated case.

what we do speak about is # of days underwater, which you've met, and dosing a booster, which you have

we then use tank pics with animals in it as the final proof, we never never ever believe the stated test kit ranges, that's key in the success of the pages and the timeliness of each cycle call.

your specific start date was a few days ago. I know your tests dont agree, they're not factored above and we keep turning out great systems and occasionally a seneye owner spot checks us; we pass :)

seneye test kit owners are the only ones we believe on a one off reading.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added since because ammonia is 2ppm and been there

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

14 pages on how to fix that tank above.

step 1 change water

step two, add some life

step three put down the test kits

step four post us proof pics I link them to page fifteen.

*as we debate what is shown for a year there, remember we aren't talking test kit stated params there for pages. we think those are wrong in nearly every stated case.

what we do speak about is # of days underwater, which you've met, and dosing a booster, which you have

we then use tank pics with animals in it as the final proof, we never never ever believe the stated test kit ranges, that's key in the success of the pages and the timeliness of each cycle call.

your specific start date was a few days ago. I know your tests dont agree, they're not factored above and we keep turning out great systems and occasionally a seneye owner spot checks us; we pass :)

seneye test kit owners are the only ones we believe on a one off reading.
I'm assuming 100% water change?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if possible yes, we use that as the great equalizer to smooth out all the various things folks add during ramp up times

I have never once in all reefing seen a fifteen day dosed tank do the water change and fail to carry life. I'd be more concerned if you were on day 4

even if that bottle bac you added was dead/mostly dead, which is rare, you still meet the ammonia timeline from a common cycling chart. we kicked out approximation testing but we subbed in other objective means.

the very first example post was a reading three times higher than yours, eight ppm for a month stuck.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added
Did you seed the aquarium with nitrifiers in any way? If you have no nitrifiers then nothing can handle the ammonia. Or at least, it will take a long time
I added a few pounds of Live Rock and dr tims one and only

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post tank pics

if the live rock you added was wet when it came home, that was skip cycle live rock and the pet store misadvised that bottle bac sale. they do it from mis training, not by bad intent.

in forums, peers routinely advise live rock skip cyclers to add bac anyway. if your live rock was dry when you added it, the bac were timed well but if it came home wet, they were already full of cycling bac and cost more than the dry stuff because of that.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added

I added a few pounds of Live Rock and dr tims one and only
Yeah that's weird then. I mean a lot of reports recently that Dr. Tim's One and Only does not seem to really be working, but well if you have live rock defo should have the nitrifiers you'd need. Do you have a pic of your tank?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back