Cycling Question

horn1893

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I've been Making sure I've been following all the advice For a fishless cycle. I went on vacation for a few days and I came back and I noticed that my ammonia is now at 0 there was a high spike before I left. And now my nitrite has spiked high and my nitrates as well....... So my question is do I need to add more ammonia or do I let it continue to cycle without it ?

Maurice

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been cycling for one month. Used Dr Tim products
I think after a month if your ammonia has dropped to zero and your nitrites/nitrates have increased you're pretty much cycled/closed to being cycled. As soon as your nitrites drop down to low levels you're probably good to go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
horn1893

horn1893

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think after a month if your ammonia has dropped to zero and your nitrites/nitrates have increased you're pretty much cycled/closed to being cycled. As soon as your nitrites drop down to low levels you're probably good to go.
Ok great! Thanks so much. Wasn't sure if more ammonia was needed to feed the bacteria. Great expectations for this tank lol

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great! Thanks so much. Wasn't sure if more ammonia was needed to feed the bacteria. Great expectations for this tank lol
I always try to add a cheap fish as the first fish - something like a low cost clownfish or chromis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
horn1893

horn1893

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to add a cheap fish as the first fish - something like a low cost clownfish or chromis.
So pretty excited. Did a small water change two days ago and monitored the nitrates and Nitrites. Everything began to come down. This morning retested and I'm at zeros across the board. No nitrates or nitrites
...hoping the cycle is complete and that I didn't stall it out. Getting my first 2 clowns today. Tank has been cycling for about 5 weeks now.

Upvote 0

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good to go. Just monitor ammonia daily after adding the fish. You mIgor see a small rise from 0 but should go back down the next day. I just re-built my tank after 15yrs and did a Dr Tims fishless cycle. Took 3 weeks.

Upvote 0

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to balance nutrient export. Add the 2 clowns and then let the bacteria population catch up and process waste efficiently before adding more. If you're doing coral maybe alternate between adding coral and fish (as uptakers); just my strategy. Good luck!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning. I've been Making sure I've been following all the advice For a fishless cycle. I went on vacation for a few days and I came back and I noticed that my ammonia is now at 0 there was a high spike before I left. And now my nitrite has spiked high and my nitrates as well....... So my question is do I need to add more ammonia or do I let it continue to cycle without it ?

Maurice
When your ammonia has spiked and then drops to zero and stays at zero and when nitrates have done the same and is at 20 or below and holding, you are cycle which typically takes 14-21 days to complete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
horn1893

horn1893

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good to go. Just monitor ammonia daily after adding the fish. You mIgor see a small rise from 0 but should go back down the next day. I just re-built my tank after 15yrs and did a Dr Tims fishless cycle. Took 3 weeks.
Thanks. That is what I used also. Once I'm sure everything is good to go I will began to look at a few corals as well.
Have 4 more yes until retirement and already loving my new hobby lol

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back