Cycling rock for established tank. Gfo?

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im cycling or cooking some rock to add to my tank. I used it befor on another tank. Then let it sit in bucket with sw. then let it dry. now im getting it ready to use again. I put in bucket with heat and flow. I added rubble from my sump. Plan to let it sit couple weeks.

I had algae issues in that tank. not terrible more bubble then HA. dont want to bleach or acid outside in winter. so i filled a tlf150 with gfo to strip all phos i can from rock. Just wondering if thats a good idea or waste of gfo. Big bag of carbon too.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im cycling or cooking some rock to add to my tank. I used it befor on another tank. Then let it sit in bucket with sw. then let it dry. now im getting it ready to use again. I put in bucket with heat and flow. I added rubble from my sump. Plan to let it sit couple weeks.

I had algae issues in that tank. not terrible more bubble then HA. dont want to bleach or acid outside in winter. so i filled a tlf150 with gfo to strip all phos i can from rock. Just wondering if thats a good idea or waste of gfo. Big bag of carbon too.
What are you trying to accomplish?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strip it of of phos and nitrates befoe i put in my tank

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting a new tank soon i want to have the rock ready cycled and prevent leaching nutrients

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strip it of of phos and nitrates befoe i put in my tank
I undersrand now.

Rock doesn’t hold onto nitrate, though it might be covered with organic matter. Folks acid wash briefly to expose clean rock surface. Not sure how much surface adsorbed PO4 is removed by acid washes.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why you cook your rock to get all the dead off of it . Heater powerhead that is all you need . Trash can with lid to keep it dark . Every 2 weeks change all the water . To fresh saltwater. When water does not show any phosphates . Put some dr. Tims one and only in it or biospera,bacteria 7 anything with bacteria . I was not in a hurry so I used a frozen shrimp from Walmart. Put it in a fine mesh bag and put it in the top of the water so I could keep an eye on it . For 6 weeks. Filled my tank half way with fresh sw put rock in filled rest of the way added dr. Tims and biospera . Put 13 fish in the same day . It has been a year and still have 10 of the original fish . 2 was sick when I got them and my wrasse just died .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back