Dry live rock “cook”

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building a max nano cause a buddy just had it sitting in his garage, no real spacific plans with it, got a little nano sump built and plumbed in. Since Iv just been doing this on free time here and there nothing about it has been urgent. I have some dry live rock I’m gonna put in it. I have room in my big tanks sump to put it and let it utilize my current chemistry. That tank has been running for 5 years so it’s established and mature, would be great for the rock. What I don’t know for certain is, would it be better to just take water from the big tank, a little heater and pump and let the rock sit in a bucket with it for a bit? Or just put it in the sump, close the doors and let it take off???
It’s not much rock, only 10 Lbs… so I’m not too worried about it throwing my parameters around in my big tank, I think it could handle it no problem.
Thoughts?????

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see what others opinions are here. But I would just put it in the big sump.
Yea I mean that’s kinda where I’m at too. I guess I don’t really know the actual impact it will have. Technically it will cycle, but I feel like the current bacteria in there would gobble that up with blinking.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m building a max nano cause a buddy just had it sitting in his garage, no real spacific plans with it, got a little nano sump built and plumbed in. Since Iv just been doing this on free time here and there nothing about it has been urgent. I have some dry live rock I’m gonna put in it. I have room in my big tanks sump to put it and let it utilize my current chemistry. That tank has been running for 5 years so it’s established and mature, would be great for the rock. What I don’t know for certain is, would it be better to just take water from the big tank, a little heater and pump and let the rock sit in a bucket with it for a bit? Or just put it in the sump, close the doors and let it take off???
It’s not much rock, only 10 Lbs… so I’m not too worried about it throwing my parameters around in my big tank, I think it could handle it no problem.
Thoughts?????
Put it in the sump of the other tank. Bacteria will colonize it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd simply put it in the sump. It seems like no one talks about curing rock any more, but it will go through a cure where it will put out N's and P's from the prior death that lived within. But the volume of rock is low and most likely won't be an issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back