Cycling tank

Matthew Brierley

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2025
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolton
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am am currently on day 10 of cycling my first salt water aquarium. I am using the fluval evo. Changed the back filtration/sump and got upgrades and everything seems to be running great.

My water peramters are showing:

0 ammonia
5.0ppm nitrite
2.0ppm nitrate

Still yet to test PH but it was at 8.0 a couple of days ago.

Is it just the case in waiting a little while longer for my nitrite to drop to 0 before I consider any water changes? Is it worth me doing a small 10-15%? Just curious to see what peoples opinions are. And if this would hinder my cycling process? Just abit worried as my nitrites haven’t dropped in 4 days! Not sure if this is normal?

Any help would be brilliant.
 
It's "cycled" if you're producing nitrate. Go slow with fish but add corals as you wish, they'll help with nutrients. You can change water or not now. Up to you. Personally, you're going to end up at 4-6 nitrate which is a good sweet spot for me.
 
I wouldn’t perform a water change. Keep adding organics either fish food or ammonia until nitrite and ammonia are undetectable. Nitrate at current levels are more than acceptable. On a cycling tank I would be fine in the 20-40 range before considering a water change.
 
I would hold off with fish until the nitrite hits 0, will be another few days or so, you're almost there...

Nitrite is harmless to saltwater, but nothing wrong with being patient. Personally I like to see nitrate 10+ before I consider it cycled. Your nitrate is too close to zero for me to be comfortable. I think your on track where you are for 10 days. Personally I never add anything to a new tank until 3 weeks in.
 
Thanks everyone, I’ll leave it a few more days until the nitrite is 0 hopefully won’t be too long!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new