Cycling using Red Sea Reef Mature into Triton

Thomas Ghysel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have decided to setup a reef tank. Right now I’m still just trying to learn as much as I can before I actually get started. My plan is to run the full triton method, of course for this I first need to cycle the tank. I was planning on using Red Sea’s blue bucket salt as it seems to have very good parameters to go with the triton method and then use their reef Mature kit. But as I started to read the instructions I ran into an idea which I’m not sure is right or wrong.

With the triton method the refugium serves to lower the phosphate and nitrate. Now I understand once the cycle is complete there will only be a few fishes in the tank so the nutrient load will be low. Chances are the chaeto will starve if their aren’t enough nutrients in the tank yet (I know it also needs a good refugium light like the kessil a360x and iron).

Then I wondered Nopox and the water changes serve to lower the rising levels of phosphate and nitrate. Wouldn’t it be good to skip the nopox and water changes when going the triton method? At the end of the cycle the chaeto could start growing on the nutrients that are still in the tank while I slowly add more fish and the first easy corals. Nitro Bac, Bacto Start stay and coralline gro would be used if KH goes under 8. Maybe not skip both but one of them?

Can anyone confirm if my reasoning is correct and if it’s not explain me why it is not. If it’s not I want to learn why it isn’t so I don’t make any stupid mistakes.

I’m sorry if my English is bad, it’s not my main language.

Have a nice day everyone

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re using no pox as a carbon source don’t concern over starving, these cycles will complete. Plants sure might need the detailed support, not the bac. Simply dose the bottle bac, add two pinches of grinded up feed, wait two weeks you’re cycled, no testing required. The exact testing is needed when racing for quicker start date, if you have two weeks you have a full cycle using anyone’s bottle bac and two pinches of feed.

no pox or not doesnt matter
your alk, po4, salinity doesn’t matter as two weeks evens all that out from affecting water bac. Any approximating is fine, no testing needed for the two weeks trick. It can’t fail to cycle

altering the alk, po4, salinity, temp, bottle bac and subbing liquid ammonia for the feed plus careful ammonia proofing and we could have you ready by Saturday. We merely alter time scale, not completion, this is the most updated cycle science avail in my opinion. We are playing up the fact no thread exists recently to show a failed cycle, all of their fish are fine. All the variations and subs didn’t matter given two weeks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back