Cycling with Mollies

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning (or insert your time of day),

My tank has been cycled for several days now and I've been ghost feeding it since there's no livestock and to keep the protein skimmer happy. I want to temporarily add 2-3 mollies while I figure out which direction I want the tank to go in and while I curate my livestock list. Here's what I'm wondering...

1. Is it a good idea?

2. Is this something y'all did?

3. How long did you acclimate them for?

4. OR should I just abandon this idea all together and get a CUC?

The mollies will have a home to go to after all this is figured out.

Any tips, tricks and pointers will greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-Matt

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for algae control, then I'd go toward a pregnant permanent cuc.

Unless you've already converted the mollies to saltwater, you'll need to do that first in another tank. I've heard of people doing this in a week or two with slowly increasing salinity. Sounds like more work than needed for what you are going to accomplish... more nutrients in that tank, I'm guessing. But a pinch of food every couple of days will probably do the same thing.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies in my opinion are underused in the reef aquarium. They are the 1st fish I introduced to my current setup.

1. Doesn't need to be quarantined as the pathogens from fresh to saltwater don't transfer.
2. Does a heck of a job eating all sorts of nuisance algae.
3. Tons of colors and shapes.
4. Very friendly fish.
5. Super cheap
6. Pretty hardy and good for starting up your tank

In terms of how I acclimated them:
1. Bucket, heater, and airstone
2. Drip acclimated for several hours with a slow steady drip

I don't think the acclimation period needs to be that long...once the water is 80% saltwater, you should be more than good.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies in my opinion are underused in the reef aquarium. They are the 1st fish I introduced to my current setup.

1. Doesn't need to be quarantined as the pathogens from fresh to saltwater don't transfer.
2. Does a heck of a job eating all sorts of nuisance algae.
3. Tons of colors and shapes.
4. Very friendly fish.
5. Super cheap
6. Pretty hardy and good for starting up your tank

In terms of how I acclimated them:
1. Bucket, heater, and airstone
2. Drip acclimated for several hours with a slow steady drip

I don't think the acclimation period needs to be that long...once the water is 80% saltwater, you should be more than good.
One thing I forgot to add is that I didn't cycle the tank with them. I used Dr. Tims fishless cycle (a10 day cycle).

OP
OP
Specific Ocean

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I forgot to add is that I didn't cycle the tank with them. I used Dr. Tims fishless cycle (a10 day cycle).

I reckon I should have titled this post cycle with mollies.

Tank is cycled. I figured I'd add mollies until I decide what fish I want in this tank. Since they would be in the tank, they can take care of any algae problems I'm going to encounter when I turn those lights on. I haven't turned the lights other than to check things out. Heck, they may even grow on me and I'll end up keeping them.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reckon I should have titled this post cycle with mollies.

Tank is cycled. I figured I'd add mollies until I decide what fish I want in this tank. Since they would be in the tank, they can take care of any algae problems I'm going to encounter when I turn those lights on. I haven't turned the lights other than to check things out. Heck, they may even grow on me and I'll end up keeping them.
They are great, but I went with and recommend a CUC.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to many in my tank. They do eat algae. To much in fact. If you use them be sure to test for nitrates at least monthly. It can creep up on you and you will never know. I would always tell my nitrates were starting to creep up when I saw a little algae. Nope, these fish eat it ALL. And To good in fact. But they are cute. Used to catch the babies. Now I don't. They go from 2 to 60 in under a few months!

OP
OP
Specific Ocean

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to many in my tank. They do eat algae. To much in fact. If you use them be sure to test for nitrates at least monthly. It can creep up on you and you will never know. I would always tell my nitrates were starting to creep up when I saw a little algae. Nope, these fish eat it ALL. And To good in fact. But they are cute. Used to catch the babies. Now I don't. They go from 2 to 60 in under a few months!

I'm thinking I could use them if my CUC just doesn't cut it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back