Cycling

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Here’s my results so far. Is the cycling still going or is does it look like it has stalled?
Still trying to see if Ammonia is on 1.0 or 2.0, It looks like 1.0 but looks like 2.0 at some points

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Here’s my results so far. Is the cycling still going or is does it look like it has stalled?
Still trying to see if Ammonia is on 1.0 or 2.0, It looks like 1.0 but looks like 2.0 at some points

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
That's such odd results. The API nitrate test should be affected by the presence of nitrite, as it actually converts a portion of nitrate to nitrite before reading that. Very weird that you are seeing 0ppm nitrate.

Conversion of ammonia to nitrite makes more sense. Presumably, ammonia is being depleted somewhat as it is converted to nitrite, but not enough for you to read ammonia as actually lowering even though it is.

So at least ammonia oxidation is occurring, assuming at least the ammonia and nitrite test kits are not faulty or used incorrectly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChandlerTingle

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's such odd results. The API nitrate test should be affected by the presence of nitrite, as it actually converts a portion of nitrate to nitrite before reading that. Very weird that you are seeing 0ppm nitrate.

Conversion of ammonia to nitrite makes more sense. Presumably, ammonia is being depleted somewhat as it is converted to nitrite, but not enough for you to read ammonia as actually lowering even though it is.

So at least ammonia oxidation is occurring, assuming at least the ammonia and nitrite test kits are not faulty or used incorrectly.
The Nitrate Levels looked to be at 10 ppm right after the pictures were taken if that helps

Upvote 0

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best if you let us know how you’re doing your cycle then some experts here will give u some great advice. Test kits are not often that great when checking. Lots of false test results. But it’s still possible to know what’s going on

Upvote 0

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You have at least ammonia oxidation, and maybe nitrite oxidation. This indicates that nitrifiers are growing, so that's good.

Now just need to let the cycle complete. Here's a guide if you need:
A GUIDE TO CYCLING V1.2.png
Why would you ever wait for nitrite to hit zero in a SW tank

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks have to wait a hundred days for nitrite clearance, we have the threads handy in our false stuck cycle threads. (Test misreads highly common)

Aze will never mention those unfortunate folks he will always tell a cycler to wait for api 3 parameter clearance as long as it takes/ without exception.

there’s no harm in digging in heels over old vs new cycling rules but that means mis testers never get to start on time, they will end up buying more cycle help bac and spending money where not required, and they learn doubt and hesitation right up front.

New cycling rules state an immediate start date for each tank based on stated variables however.

Simplest cycle here is wait a total of fifteen days, change water, you’re cycled no matter what neutral nitrite reads. It’s also ok to wait as many days as you want for api to allow you to proceed, if you dont want to reef on day fifteen which matches the dates on the label of the bottle bac used (it was ten days I’ll bet)

it does not matter what the ammonia reads either on day fifteen, no cycles stall they’re done by then when using bottled bacteria so just change water and begin in half a month. Can’t fail

old cycling rules says you wait until that wastewater reads perfect, ie July is your start date though you paid for a bottle to allow a quick start.

new cycling rules know your tests are the most entry level ones possible and we don’t trust them, use a cycling chart, you can start on day fifteen. The ammonia line from a cycling chart is all we care about in new cycling procedure. Since there’s nitrification going on above it will be done when a cycling chart says it will

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New cycling rules state an immediate start date for each tank based on stated variables however.
Yup, those stated variables are missing at this point. Need more info from OP.

Was live rock or dry rock used?
Any bacteria added? What flavor?
How much if any ammonia added?

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multi post

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you ever wait for nitrite to hit zero in a SW tank
To be certain that it would not climb so high to actually start negatively affecting the fish. While it needs to be really, really, really high to kill fish, a study has shown that exposure to nitrite can nonetheless cause disease in ocellaris clownfish and thus recommended that nitrite be kept below 25ppm.

While reaching even 25ppm nitrite is not easy, it is definitely possible especially given that that only corresponds to less than 10ppm ammonia.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back