brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CW

Notice the difference in reference material laid out here

Of all the links provided to you which two are reef specific?

There's way more than two links here

The non reef ones are a scare tactic trick that are out of context fully

You have too much surface area, time, and current to be lacking bac ability

Notice how Randy's article is reef tank specific, and notice how 100% of my 38 page thread is zero fish loss, that's in context data for you, and it remarks upon the surface area you have in your tank

Nitrite studies that discover toxicity limits don't apply, you won't reach those levels in reef display cycling.

We all have this vital surface area and chloride levels to give display reefs a truly unique protection from nitrite

Don't own the kit. Hey check this out: I'll find in a sec and post a survey of the most useless test params in reefing, it's a big survey

You predict which two params your peers won't be measuring any time soon I'll post back after work break

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cw, nitrite is a non issue any way you slice it, that's how we got to page 38/100/300 etc of pure reef tanks to study outcomes.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember my goal isn't to slight the tech folks, helium has a legit toxicity level if you play with it wrong, they don't make beeping helium detectors to hang in homes even though it can be toxic

Nobody measures for potentially toxic when out of context helium in a home.

My goal is to use the macro focus to discern if we should care about, measure, or buy backups for nitrite in the reef tank. That 38 page thread is one of ten of them using solely reef tanks from this site as discovery material + logged

We have hundreds and hundreds of cycle outcomes we can read, to see if fish lived or died in pattern. Uncycled tanks can't carry bioload, they crash and die.

I believe it's possible to scan our in- context data and come away with the conclusion that even having threads on nitrite in the reef tank isn't required, given the proofs on file and the years of data compiled in them

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a common cycling chart from any book shows us that nitrite is under decent control by day 25

so before that day, don't concern over levels. and after that day lol, don't concern over levels

*try to imagine an event in which something you were told to worry about is instantly no longer a worry

that time is now. that time was back when we started this last nitrite study thread.

considering how accurate they got the ten day ammonia drop on cycling charts, eighty years ago, is there any reason to think they're wildly off base with nitrite

is Lasse does a study with his hanna nitrite meter which I believe to be accurate, in his hands, and that study said on month three nitrite was not controlled: I would then refer back to the enduring search for any single loss in reefing ever attributed to nitrite. accepting any 1 documentation of 1 single event where a loss was tied to that in reefing, that these umpires who care about nitrite have seen before this thread

no randomly combing the web for something stated as nitrite caused but really just poor acclimation, show convincing data for a nitrite loss in a reef tank. more than one event should be available given the degree of training to worry about it that's out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a common cycling chart from any book shows us that nitrite is under decent control by day 25

so before that day, don't concern over levels. and after that day lol, don't concern over levels

*try to imagine an event in which something you were told to worry about is instantly no longer a worry

that time is now. that time was back when we started this last nitrite study thread.

considering how accurate they got the ten day ammonia drop on cycling charts, eighty years ago, is there any reason to think they're wildly off base with nitrite

is Lasse does a study with his hanna nitrite meter which I believe to be accurate, in his hands, and that study said on month three nitrite was not controlled: I would then refer back to the enduring search for any single loss in reefing ever attributed to nitrite. accepting any 1 documentation of 1 single event where a loss was tied to that in reefing, that these umpires who care about nitrite have seen before this thread

no randomly combing the web for something stated as nitrite caused but really just poor acclimation, show convincing data for a nitrite loss in a reef tank. more than one event should be available given the degree of training to worry about it that's out there.
Brandon -

Question for ya... So I have not added any ammonia drops to my tank since it hit zero on day 11. It is now day 15. Is my bacteria starving since I haven't had that or fish in there yet?

Thanks!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not possible to starve a cycle once set in.

Reasons why: cycles will self complete in about 4 mos or less, we have examples, feeding nothing and dosing nothing like bottle bac, it just takes longer

- home contaminations get into the tank on a per minute basis, and complete a cycle free of charge it just takes a quarter year to complete

No feeding is required

Because an unassisted cycle is possible, cycles can't starve once they're built by a boosted mechanism

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back