Cyno mat on sandbed

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

appears to be cyano Mat on sandbed. Just did water change. Tested water and everything is in their usual levels. Running lights 9 hours daily. Stated fuge with chaeto last Friday so figured algae would have company. Do another water change?

Last edited:

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not running the white lights 9 hours are you? The white should only be run 4-5 hours a day max and blue (420 nm) 9-12 or so total.

I think you would benefit greatly from an algae scrubber.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, refugium with chaeto, phosguard, phosphate rx, to name a few. Just do a little research on lowering phosphate. There is a lot of info out there.
I’ll watch it. I have/do 2 of the above som I’m on the right track.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked water after change
420 Ca
10 Alk
8.0 ph
10 NO3
0 PO4

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just looks like diatoms to me... also that's a huge phosphate swing to me if you went from .4 to 0 from just a water change. You sure the test kit is correct?

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just looks like diatoms to me... also that's a huge phosphate swing to me if you went from .4 to 0 from just a water change. You sure the test kit is correct?
The first number I was iffy so I went higher. I’m sure phosphates were near 0 yesterday

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are 2 years into this tank, it is high time to own a Hanna ULR Checker to test your phosphates. If your water was really 0 in PO4 your corals would starve and die. It is a very good idea to know how low (or high) your phosphates are -- particularly if you run low nutrient.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are 2 years into this tank, it is high time to own a Hanna ULR Checker to test your phosphates. If your water was really 0 in PO4 your corals would starve and die. It is a very good idea to know how low (or high) your phosphates are -- particularly if you run low nutrient.
So this? Must have been off on the 0 reading as corals are looking better now than ever before

image.jpg

Fat and plump like my women

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup that will do nicely. If you want to be even MORE precise, you can buy the Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker which measures out to parts per billion. (But then you have to convert the value back to Phosphates in parts per million.)

Unless your goal is to run ultra low nutrient, the Phosphate one you linked is perfect. Just keep the cuvettes (vials) super clean in either case.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that will do nicely. If you want to be even MORE precise, you can buy the Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker which measures out to parts per billion. (But then you have to convert the value back to Phosphates in parts per million.)

Unless your goal is to run ultra low nutrient, the Phosphate one you linked is perfect. Just keep the cuvettes (vials) super clean in either case.
I’ve been using api saltwater and reef testers. My wife has the eye for color matches but it’s still hard to gauge

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back