Cyphastrea on the back wall

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who has used cyphastrea as an encruster for your back wall, is it easy to remove when it encroaches on your rock wirk? I am getting a sweetheart cyphastrea soon and want to use it on the bacj wall but don’t want it to grow over my rockwork where it touches the wall and encrust over everything.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used cyphastria but I have used montos, lithophyton and povona. A scalel or thin flat blade screw driver can be used to scrap off the skeleton if it gets too close.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used cyphastria but I have used montos, lithophyton and povona. A scalel or thin flat blade screw driver can be used to scrap off the skeleton if it gets too close.
When I scrape the skeleton off will it just start growing on whatever surface it lands on or does it die when it’s removed?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, If pieces of the skeleton are large enough and have enough tissue you could possibly propagate them. Keep in mind the smaller the frag or chip the less likely it will be viable.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, If pieces of the skeleton are large enough and have enough tissue you could possibly propagate them. Keep in mind the smaller the frag or chip the less likely it will be viable.
Honestly I’m not really worried about propagating it, I’m worried that like my dads Xenia when I scrape it off it’ll land somewhere and start to grow on a portion of rock I don’t want it on.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's always a risk with nay coral although a minimal one generally when talking stony corals. Here's a technique I've found helpful for controlling a lot of stuff and even works on encrusting corals like chalices and montis:

I know it's off topic, but seeing this video has saved me so much effort and wasted time. I went on Amazon and bought them that day. Thanks!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's always a risk with nay coral although a minimal one generally when talking stony corals. Here's a technique I've found helpful for controlling a lot of stuff and even works on encrusting corals like chalices and montis:

I also use this method to remove bubble algae. Thanks for the inspiration!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back