Cyphastrea?

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS said this is a cyphastrea frag, but I can't find any reference that looks like this. polyps are about 1mm and densely packed together; they're also fluorescent purple but not really showing in this pic.

PE has been consistently great though, so no complaints!

cyphastrea.jpg

OP
OP
DiabloJP

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the polyps close into raised mounds or hide entirely inside the coral when closed? I believe if it was cyphastrea each polyp would have a stony lump of skeleton it retreated into.
No raised mound, just a tiny dimple... surface is mostly smooth and flat when they're retracted.

OP
OP
DiabloJP

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS said this is a cyphastrea frag, but I can't find any reference that looks like this. polyps are about 1mm and densely packed together; they're also fluorescent purple but not really showing in this pic.

PE has been consistently great though, so no complaints!

cyphastrea.jpg
It looks to be a Montipora species more than anything.
Here’s all of my monti species with PE;
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Out of them all, I’d say it’s likely you have a Digitata that hasn’t began to spread yet. The other thing is, not only is the PE quite small (1mm) but the polyps are all very compact and close together which is seen in my Digi.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty certain it's a stylocoeniella.
These guys don’t have PE that’s so close together so I disagree also if I remember correctly Stylocoeniella has their polyps on some form of mound.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Alveopora have 12 petals as in this photo, I do believe.
When does the learning stop in this hobby? I say things that I learn from all of you folks and people think I am actually intelligent.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys don’t have PE that’s so close together so I disagree also if I remember correctly Stylocoeniella has their polyps on some form of mound.
A stylo's polyps can be so close you cant even see the base color. Perfect example is the Burning Banana. Their skeleton is pretty smooth.

OP
OP
DiabloJP

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the sleuthing help! I really need to expand my taxonomy knowledge base. :p

Big range of needs between the contenders; it's pretty middle-of-the-road right now on lighting and flow, I'll see how it does over the next couple of weeks.

Really appreciate all the help figuring this out! Second mystery coral from my main LFS. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
DiabloJP

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo... dude has been on a serious color journey under the Reef LED 90s -- was a rusty red at the LFS, it's now moving in a rainbow direction with the center ranging from red to pink and the growing edges green and yellow. LFS had it at like 450 PAR, it's just over 200 now.

This top-down picture is fairly true to color except for the polyps, which look brownish here but are actually bright pink to the eye.

It's growing and encrusting at a pretty decent pace so seems to be happy, and the color is awesome.

IMG_6476.jpg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%

Back