$_35.jpeg

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. I have been searching out de filters. The vortex I can’t find. Discontinued. I saw the Marineland polisher set up for de, but it rate 90 and I have a 180

What set up are you running or recommend? Never used de filters except when I worked at restaurants for fryer filtering

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds interesting...

I do run my vortex XL every 6+ months or so for 24 hours and then take it off...

Following along ;Bookworm
This setup, for me, will run 24/7, divert to refugium when feeding DT.:)
I still will have dry natural coral rock in refugium. And 16 gallon canister filter with crush coral 5mm, for additional filtration.
Thanks for reply and following, comrade

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. I have been searching out de filters. The vortex I can’t find. Discontinued. I saw the Marineland polisher set up for de, but it rate 90 and I have a 180

What set up are you running or recommend? Never used de filters except when I worked at restaurants for fryer filtering
Thanks for comment and following.
Like I mentioned above. This setup, for me, will run 24/7, divert to refugium when feeding DT.:)
I still will have dry natural coral rock in refugium. And 16 gallon canister filter with crush coral 5mm, for additional filtration
150 gallon total, DT 46 gallon. For NPS corals. Been trying to figure out(since 1980's) a quick way to remove heaving feeding.
No internet then. Slow information highway then. The last year and a half, came up with this setup. Will work fine. Been experimenting this last year and a half Backwoods Lab, (aka storage container). Thanks, comrade

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering and interesting set up.

Sorry if I am not getting it all. I guess the only piece of the puzzle I am not clear on is what is being used as the actual filter where the charge of the de is done? I was trying to get the Vortex xl but it is discontinued.

Thanks again

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering and interesting set up.

Sorry if I am not getting it all. I guess the only piece of the puzzle I am not clear on is what is being used as the actual filter where the charge of the de is done? I was trying to get the Vortex xl but it is discontinued.

Thanks again
I'm trying to upload rest of the pictures but having issues. The D.E. filter is made of Ehiem pump, whole house canister filter 20" x 4.5" canister, a pleaded filter cartridge(5 Micron)size 20" x 4.5" , for diatom powder to stick on. That's it for D.E. filter.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found my brain just now on the floor and put it back in.

When I was looking for some reason I never thought to go to the website. Amazon and a few others I looked at all said discontinued. I thought I also saw something about them catching on fire so I figured they were no longer made.

Thanks for helping.
Just because it appears there doesn't mean they have them. They may still be discontinued. I simply looked where I got mine last year.

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... I've cleaned hundreds of de pool filters. I've always wanted to know why, being they are so effective, that they aren't used often. Maybe I can chip in a few tid bits here and there

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... I've cleaned hundreds of de pool filters. I've always wanted to know why, being they are so effective, that they aren't used often. Maybe I can chip in a few tid bits here and there

Thanks, any info big help. The diatom filters for aquaria, not design for continuous use, sad to say.
Some large aquarium institutions use them, they're so effective that they don't operate skimmers. Eventually I'm going to use on 150 gallons the Hayward ec40ac perflex . Some members here use them. Also can't use as biological filtration, only mechanical.
So I'm going to use whole house canister filter 20" x 4.5" for D.E. filtration. Stay tune

$_35.jpeg

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run vortex DE but they all broke pretty quickly and I never bothered to replace it.

How often to recharge? Running it for long periods between charges seems like the captured particulate would break down and not provide much benefit.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run vortex DE but they all broke pretty quickly and I never bothered to replace it.

How often to recharge? Running it for long periods between charges seems like the captured particulate would break down and not provide much benefit.
Thanks for comment, I just got the whole house D.E. going, canister filter is 1 Micron, and adding diatomaceous earth should increase filtration. I'm hoping every two weeks to recharge. The NPS corals don't mind alittle more NO3 and PO4 if some food breaks down. But key is removing all food and some, as soon as possible. When I get the Hayward ec40ac, can be drained quickly and recharged. Thanks, comrade

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for comment, I just got the whole house D.E. going, canister filter is 1 Micron, and adding diatomaceous earth should increase filtration. I'm hoping every two weeks to recharge. The NPS corals don't mind alittle more NO3 and PO4 if some food breaks down. But key is removing all food and what as soon as possible. When I get the Hayward ec40ac, can be drained quickly and recharged. Thanks, comrade

Just spitballing idea but wouldn't a low micron automatic filter roll work better since they advance and remove the waste from the water column quite quickly? I imagine you could DIY one without too much trouble.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spitballing idea but wouldn't a low micron automatic filter roll work better since they advance and remove the waste from the water column quite quickly? I imagine you could DIY one without too much trouble.
The automatic filter roll would be benefit to D.E. filtration. The D.E. filter, can filter down to .05 micron, remove bacteria,ick, velvet,algae all of this on second pass of filter, no other filtration system can. It can even take the place of a skimmer.
Only reason I think not in use is no good quality equipment in our hobby. I can't uploaded photos. Bummer

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity which aquariums are using them instead of skimmers and on which exhibits?

I remember DE does filter down quite small, but as regular filters start to clog they filter smaller and smaller, I wonder what effective filter size a 10 or even 50 micron roll would capture - the thing I think about is whether it's more important to capture and hold the items in the filter for a few weeks or have them removed from the water totally like a filter roll would. I there a reason you prefer DE to UV?

Either way it will be fun to see what you come up with!

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity which aquariums are using them instead of skimmers and on which exhibits?

I remember DE does filter down quite small, but as regular filters start to clog they filter smaller and smaller, I wonder what effective filter size a 10 or even 50 micron roll would capture - the thing I think about is whether it's more important to capture and hold the items in the filter for a few weeks or have them removed from the water totally like a filter roll would. I there a reason you prefer DE to UV?

Either way it will be fun to see what you come up with!
UV doesn't capture only draw back. And food isn't alive.
Links
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/de-filters-use-design-and-implementation.536965/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/huge-diatom-filter-for-crystal-clear-water.349986/

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back