1   0   0
Corals look to be doing great!

Brett H whitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the lights up to 60% thinking it would be fine. Waited two weeks to test the PAR and was very surprised to find some very high par readings.
Managed to irritate a few of my LPS and bleach a few of my Montipora frags before I caught it. I ran my Hydra’s at 80%, had no idea the these lights
would be this powerful.

Currently at 40% with a 6 week acclimation period setup to 80%. Hope everything recovers.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the lights up to 60% thinking it would be fine. Waited two weeks to test the PAR and was very surprised to find some very high par readings.
Managed to irritate a few of my LPS and bleach a few of my Montipora frags before I caught it. I ran my Hydra’s at 80%, had no idea the these lights
would be this powerful.

Currently at 40% with a 6 week acclimation period setup to 80%. Hope everything recovers.
Yeah, i'm back up to 75% mounted 17" above the water. :)
Same as you, my encrusting montis were less than thrilled. lol

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 10 days, Tang was dead in QT this morning.
He was looking bad last night, as in not moving much, heavier breathing.
Other than that he looked fine to me, nothing I could see visibly.

So far I'm 0 for 3 on tangs.

And the wrasse is barely moving as well. Doesn't look like he's going to make it through the morning.
What does this look like?

@Humblefish

i-BmgwWq6.jpg

Brett H whitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is fungus. I have 2 tangs in my display tank for about 1 year. I have found that quarantine stresses them out so much,
they tend to die off from stress. I know you are not supposed to do this, but I placed them directly in my tank. Did you get them locally
or online?

Yellow tang
Blue tang

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After about 10 days, Tang was dead in QT this morning.
He was looking bad last night, as in not moving much, heavier breathing.
Other than that he looked fine to me, nothing I could see visibly.

So far I'm 0 for 3 on tangs.

And the wrasse is barely moving as well. Doesn't look like he's going to make it through the morning.
What does this look like?

@Humblefish

i-BmgwWq6.jpg

Always stinks to lose fish when you're trying to add them the right way!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini What meds do you currently have in the water? It sorta looks like he may have a bacterial infection or possibly flukes.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini What meds do you currently have in the water? It sorta looks like he may have a bacterial infection or possibly flukes.

The only thing I ran so far was prazipro and it wasn't even a true full dose. It had been 5-6 days so last night I did a large water change especially after I saw they weren't looking good.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, to hear about the wrasse. I lost mine Monday...he found a flaw in my mesh cover that was on the temp tank!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I ran so far was prazipro and it wasn't even a true full dose. It had been 5-6 days so last night I did a large water change especially after I saw they weren't looking good.

Got any pics of the dead tang? Fungus is pretty rare in SW fish (saltwater kills fungi), but a bacterial disease is very possible. These are worse than dealing with ich, velvet, etc. IME.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any pics of the dead tang? Fungus is pretty rare in SW fish (saltwater kills fungi), but a bacterial disease is very possible. These are worse than dealing with ich, velvet, etc. IME.

I do not.
The tang looked fine last night other than his behavior. I didn't see anything on him. But of course when I found him this morning he had that blotchy discolored look.

The wrasse had seemed to be acting fine until this morning.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang looked fine last night other than his behavior.

Other than the lethargy and heavy breathing, did you notice any other behavioral symptoms with the tang? Scratching, flashing, head twitching? Swimming into the flow of a powerhead or purposely staying out of the light?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the lethargy and heavy breathing, did you notice any other behavioral symptoms with the tang? Scratching, flashing, head twitching? Swimming into the flow of a powerhead or purposely staying out of the light?

Other than hiding in the pvc when I walked by that was it. I couldn't say for sure how much he was eating but he was still at a healthy looking weight.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than hiding in the pvc when I walked by that was it. I couldn't say for sure how much he was eating but he was still at a healthy looking weight.

My recommendation is going to be something unconventional: Dose Melafix into the QT.

Kanaplex would be my second choice (and something he'll probably ultimately need if he survives); but if he's as bad off as you say antibiotics will never kick in in time to save him. :(

If he dies, drop the body in FW to check for flukes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

You could go ahead and give him a FW dip now, but if he's looking bad he might not survive the dip.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation is going to be something unconventional: Dose Melafix into the QT.

Kanaplex would be my second choice (and something he'll probably ultimately need if he survives); but if he's as bad off as you say antibiotics will never kick in in time to save him. :(

If he dies, drop the body in FW to check for flukes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

You could go ahead and give him a FW dip now, but if he's looking bad he might not survive the dip.
I put him in FW for just over a minute this morning before i left the house.
I just got back now and he seems better. Swimming around a bit and I don't see any of that white stuff.
So dose the Melafix now?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put him in FW for just over a minute this morning before i left the house.
I just got back now and he seems better. Swimming around a bit and I don't see any of that white stuff.
So dose the Melafix now?

Getting better after the FW dip suggests worms or parasites were afflicting the gills, and the FW dislodged some of them making his breathing easier.

I think I would start raising copper on him; chelated copper such as Coppersafe or Copper Power would be best to use on a wrasse.

Unless you saw white oval dots fall out of his gills during the FW dip, which would indicate flukes. For that you would want another round of Prazipro.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting better after the FW dip suggests worms or parasites were afflicting the gills, and the FW dislodged some of them making his breathing easier.

I think I would start raising copper on him; chelated copper such as Coppersafe or Copper Power would be best to use on a wrasse.

Unless you saw white oval dots fall out of his gills during the FW dip, which would indicate flukes. For that you would want another round of Prazipro.
ok i'll go pick up some copper safe.
I didn't see anything fall out but of course I wasn't looking for it either.
Also, just fed some Reef Frenzy and he ate that. So another good sign.
Thanks! :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i'll go pick up some copper safe.
I didn't see anything fall out but of course I wasn't looking for it either.
Also, just fed some Reef Frenzy and he ate that. So another good sign.
Thanks! :)

Usually when a fish perks up following a FW dip, it's either flukes or velvet. Or Brooklynella ... but you should notice the skin peel or sloughing off if it has brook.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when a fish perks up following a FW dip, it's either flukes or velvet. Or Brooklynella ... but you should notice the skin peel or sloughing off if it has brook.
Sorry, one last question. :)
I picked up the Coppersafe and the only test kit my lfs had was the Salifert one.
I was going to raise it over 4 days or so but is my end goal 1.5-2.0 ppm?

I forgot I still have the container with the FW from this morning's dip in it and I don't see anything, but the container is milky white. LOL. Ugh.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to raise it over 4 days or so but is my end goal 1.5-2.0 ppm?

I would raise it within 24 hrs, as I feel the likelihood of velvet is high here. Just follow the directions (1 teaspoon per 4 gallons) and it will get you somewhere between 1.5-2.0 ppm. However, I would pickup an API copper test kit to confirm this. Salifert maxes out at 1.oppm (I believe); it is only suitable for Cupramine.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back