d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Hreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its both brains. I’ve moved them around with no change. A few months ago I isolated the brains in that acclimation box and after a week or two it opened up. 20 minutes back in the tank and it closed up again. But I have never seen anyone messing with either of them. And the clowns used to host that one in front so it was used to the slight irritation. I’ve had that one for 6 years.

I bet you have a critter that moves back and forth just to claim it’s hosts. I hope you find what is doing this.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you have a critter that moves back and forth just to claim it’s hosts. I hope you find what is doing this.

Not ruling it out but I’d bet money it’s a fish. This same brain was in my previous tank in the last house. All of a sudden the same thing started happening. But worse! The tissue started dying back. By the end, it was probably close to 90% skeleton. I figured out finally that my yellow belly blue tang was messing with it. As soon as he was gone it started to recover and eventually made a full recovery.

I dunno... we’ll see!

Hreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ruling it out but I’d bet money it’s a fish. This same brain was in my previous tank in the last house. All of a sudden the same thing started happening. But worse! The tissue started dying back. By the end, it was probably close to 90% skeleton. I figured out finally that my yellow belly blue tang was messing with it. As soon as he was gone it started to recover and eventually made a full recovery.

I dunno... we’ll see!

You got a picker, you’ll catch the culprit.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted an FTS in a while.
Have a dwarf angel in the acclimation box... trying to figure out what's bothering that open brain in the front. He's been closed up for like 5 months.

i-F5jNFgH.jpg
How are you liking the Diffusers?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Diffusers?
I like them. IMO they make the lights look more finished and they do diffuse it better. No disco.

After having the radions up for awhile now, do you have any progression shots of SPS growth?

Pics and a time table would be nice to see. There’s no doubt radions color up SPS, I’m still a little skeptical on how they do with growth.
Sorry, I don't have much. I seem to either take an FTS or extreme closeups most of the time. lol
Some sps grow fast, some very slow. And there's more to that than just lighting so hard to quantify unless you ran two identical tanks next to each other.
If I was betting money I'd bet that you wouldn't get as much growth as you'd get with MH/T5 but that's just a guess. Growth speed isn't really something that matters to me all that much since I'm not in the coral biz. I just want everything to be colorful and healthy. :)

Here's a couple examples though...

ORA Frogskin less than 4 months apart.

i-fwPq9sz.jpg

i-bfGrMBm.jpg

6 months growth on the Paletta Pink Tip

i-f8fZPwj.jpg

i-ZDNFDLp.jpg

And 7.5 months on this one.

i-nKkF8cT.jpg

i-TxXs9QW-XL.jpg

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having the radions up for awhile now, do you have any progression shots of SPS growth?

Pics and a time table would be nice to see. There’s no doubt radions color up SPS, I’m still a little skeptical on how they do with growth.

Ask wwc how they grow corals. Look at their 900 broodstock thread, you can see how fast they filled it out.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini

Tank looks great. The blend of tbs with aquacultured frags is really cool to me.
How long is your photo period, peak/total? Are you using sps ab+? Any idea average par?

Thanks

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini

Tank looks great. The blend of tbs with aquacultured frags is really cool to me.
How long is your photo period, peak/total? Are you using sps ab+? Any idea average par?

Thanks

Yes, I'm using AB+ but I lower the red and green.

i-q9zWKt2.png

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 8 hr peak/12 hrs total, am I reading that correctly? Any idea on par?
This was before the diffusers but you get the idea.
Blue line along the bottom is by the front glass.

i-BMSZQZ3.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang dude nice job! Your PAR results are really helpful for me.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just lovely. I could look at the photos for hours. I still have 2 of your pictures on my phone that keep making it thru the picture purge. One is of the two red emerald crabs tusseling and the other is a room/FTS shot of your last set up. I have my DT in my eat in kitchen right in front of our dining table, also.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just lovely. I could look at the photos for hours. I still have 2 of your pictures on my phone that keep making it thru the picture purge. One is of the two red emerald crabs tusseling and the other is a room/FTS shot of your last set up. I have my DT in my eat in kitchen right in front of our dining table, also.
LOL, those two crabs were funny. :D
Thanks!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had to get rid of both my dwarf angel (was kinda being a bully to my clowns anyway) and my Foxface who I think was the real culprit, and now my brains are fluffy again! :)
Only took since THANKSGIVING to figure that out! :rolleyes:

i-QBgXbdv.jpg

i-CmmGw7j.jpg

And I brought home a Swallowtail Angel instead. :D

i-vMKxqVr.jpg

Hreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had to get rid of both my dwarf angel (was kinda being a bully to my clowns anyway) and my Foxface who I think was the real culprit, and now my brains are fluffy again! :)
Only took since THANKSGIVING to figure that out! :rolleyes:

i-QBgXbdv.jpg

i-CmmGw7j.jpg

And I brought home a Swallowtail Angel instead. :D

i-vMKxqVr.jpg

Alright! the Brains are back and happy!

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, he's still going strong! In that same exact spot, too.
Been just about a year now.... end of this month. :)
Dennis, are you spot feeding the basket star, or is it staying alive solely by virtue of whatever else you are doing for feeding the tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back