d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, how did I miss this? Sorry!

Yes, still outside. :) Both RO and fresh saltwater.
How hot slash cold does it get there?
I just put my 35 gallon container in the attic so it can get as hot as 120 and as cold as I do not know would u be worried

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. Would love to see a FTS.
Thanks, best thing would be to check out the video I posted a few posts back since that was just a month ago. :)

Looks great Dennis!
Thanks!

How hot slash cold does it get there?
I just put my 35 gallon container in the attic so it can get as hot as 120 and as cold as I do not know would u be worried
I've never measured water temp. But Houston gets up around 100 in the summer and can hit freezing in the winter.
My daily auto water changes are small enough (same with ATO) that temp doesn't matter.

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Symphonic Pink Floyd on the last video you did. Took me a minute to figure out what I was listening to. Fits well with your video, nice choice!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using now? I believe you have used Triton in the past and then moved to ESV before the carx?
AquaForest 1+ 2+ 3+
Started a couple weeks ago. Went through the first set of 5 liter pre-mixed containers in that time. Now just started mixing my own so it's cheaper.

Love the Symphonic Pink Floyd on the last video you did. Took me a minute to figure out what I was listening to. Fits well with your video, nice choice!
Yesssssss. Thanks. :)

Do u have a recent pic of ur stand now?
Not yet but I'll take one.

So back to daily dosing?
Yup! If I still had the fish room, I probably would have stuck with it and maybe just got a different reactor.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking disgusting!!!

Just kidding, but it must be boring to always hear how amazing your tank is [emoji1].

I have actually done the opposite [emoji4]. After one year of mixing my own aquaforest components I got fed up with mixing 15 liters every 2 weeks as my tank was going through 380ml of each per day ! Not to mention the cost that was about 450US per year. But the tank was amazing and they are very easy to mix (no caking agents). Even Alk would dissolve with a minute or so of vigorous shaking of the 5 L jerrycan.

Once I have my CaRx dialed in I will use my spare GHL Doser 2.1 with a KH Director to control the CaRx [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847].

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even Alk would dissolve with a minute or so of vigorous shaking of the 5 L jerrycan.
The weird thing is my mixed solution seems to be the exact same strength as the pre-mixed stuff. I thought I was going to have to cut back by like 50% but thats not the case.
Pretty sure I shook the alk container enough...

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weird thing is my mixed solution seems to be the exact same strength as the pre-mixed stuff. I thought I was going to have to cut back by like 50% but thats not the case.
Pretty sure I shook the alk container enough...

Never used the pre mixed stuff so would not know... I do know that the Alk dosing was almost twice what I would dose with Fauna Marin so these do seem rather diluted. This is why I got fed up with constantly mixing jugs. I am only home on weekends (work abroad) and have a wife and 4 kids so my tank needs to practically run itself or the one that can not be mentioned will be upset.... and we do not want that... no no... [emoji51]

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I always used a digital scale to weigh each powder to the gram. They say 100ml will raise Alk by 2,66dKH in 100L of water so perhaps you could test with 1ml in a 10L bucket and see...?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I always used a digital scale to weigh each powder to the gram. They say 100ml will raise Alk by 2,66dKH in 100L of water so perhaps you could test with 1ml in a 10L bucket and see...?
Yes, I used a digital scale too. Maybe I'll try that test. Thanks!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking AF components so far?
Well, it's only been 2-3 weeks so I can glean much from that yet, but so far parameters are pretty stable and the tank is looking good. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's getting crowded up in here! ;Snaphappy

i-vsc32NC-XL.jpg

Woweee really growing in good huh!!!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I set up a tank, it runs for 2-3 years and then I move or something.
Now we decided to do some work on our house including all new flooring.
Didn't think this would have been something we had to do when we moved in, but apparently the previous owner put down the cheapest, cruddiest wood floors known to man. ;Facepalm

Not sure what's going to happen but meeting with the contractor today to kick things off. Planning on moving the tank to one of the bedrooms for the next few months or so. Not going to be fun. ;Shifty

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back