d2mini's "Mixed Reefalicious" Cade 600 Build

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Like you, I may add one in the future, but for now I'm ok washing socks. I found the stock sock to clog up pretty quickly, usually within 48 hours or so. I picked up some regular 200 micron felt socks.

Overall I'm really liking the tank. My only quibble with the whole system is the sump. I kinda wish it was acrylic instead of glass. It's a beast, so heavy. Makes removal for a deep clean or whatever that much harder. But it is easier to customize, like removing the sock holder for example. I think they could improve it by making it acrylic with height adjustable skimmer section, removable sock holder and filter roller ready.
YES!!! Roller Matt ready!!! Struggling to adapt mine currently - I can get one in there (maybe should have gotten a smaller one - but now I’m worried that return pump section will be too small - going to have to find a way to test that…. Pretty much locked into the sump dimensions if we stick to the stand. Is making one that difficult? Clear PVC or Acrylic would probably be easier to work with compared too glass. I’ll have to look for a custom sump build thread if my test fails.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES!!! Roller Matt ready!!! Struggling to adapt mine currently - I can get one in there (maybe should have gotten a smaller one - but now I’m worried that return pump section will be too small - going to have to find a way to test that…. Pretty much locked into the sump dimensions if we stick to the stand. Is making one that difficult? Clear PVC or Acrylic would probably be easier to work with compared too glass. I’ll have to look for a custom sump build thread if my test fails.
There's a couple that are supposed to be pretty much drop in, outside of removing the sock holder.
The folks on the Cade USA facebook group should know. I think Klir was one?

Honestly, I'm loving the reef diapers and no longer have any interest in a roller.
So easy to swap out and the price is good.
A 30 pack last me nearly 3 months.

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a couple that are supposed to be pretty much drop in, outside of removing the sock holder.
The folks on the Cade USA facebook group should know. I think Klir was one?

Honestly, I'm loving the reef diapers and no longer have any interest in a roller.
So easy to swap out and the price is good.
A 30 pack last me nearly 3 months.
lol ... wish i new about those before i started slicing and dicing .. i own the clarisea now so still going to pursue trying to make it work ... when will i learn to look before i leap!?!?

did you identify the source of the bugs? something that might have came with the rock - or maybe shipped with the coral? i ordered some base rock and sand from tampa bay - probably impossible to keep a pest free system - hopefully your bug problem isnt too difficult to get under control. i think i saw at least one wrasse in your photos (amazing and please continue providing the eye candy) ... do you see it doing any work? thoughts about adding addition ones to help???

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you identify the source of the bugs? something that might have came with the rock - or maybe shipped with the coral? i ordered some base rock and sand from tampa bay - probably impossible to keep a pest free system - hopefully your bug problem isnt too difficult to get under control. i think i saw at least one wrasse in your photos (amazing and please continue providing the eye candy) ... do you see it doing any work? thoughts about adding addition ones to help???
I don't have the wrasse anymore.
I'm assuming they came in on a coral. I try to be pretty good about dipping but nothing is 100%.

I'm still waiting on the meds to arrive. It's been two weeks but should be any day now!

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming they came in on a coral. I try to be pretty good about dipping but nothing is 100%.

I'm still waiting on the meds to arrive. It's been two weeks but should be any day now!
good luck - coral eating pests are the scariest part about this hobby - im sure happens to everyone - unfortunately time and patience doesnt seem to be the solution. i hope the meds work - looking forward to the positive news!!!

Arkayology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I ordered from CanadaPetCare years ago. They sent so much spam to my email after that!

erichatesmice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good to see you still have a tank. I remember your name from the RC days but back then I think you had really big tanks. Look forward to seeing your Cade grow out!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck - coral eating pests are the scariest part about this hobby - im sure happens to everyone - unfortunately time and patience doesnt seem to be the solution. i hope the meds work - looking forward to the positive news!!!
Thanks! Fingers crossed. Now if USPS would just stop dragging their feet. They are the worst! lol
I think I ordered from CanadaPetCare years ago. They sent so much spam to my email after that!
So far I havent received a single email. But ya... I do get the sense they are a bit shady. :grinning-squinting-face:
It is good to see you still have a tank. I remember your name from the RC days but back then I think you had really big tanks. Look forward to seeing your Cade grow out!
Biggest I've had is a 200g. But every time we move my tank seems to get smaller. Isn't it supposed to be the opposite? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::loudly-crying-face:

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the latest little frag we added this weekend. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

20240211-_DSC1309-Maya.jpeg
IMG_3301.jpeg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, update on the bugs:

I ordered from CanadaPetCare.com over 2 weeks ago. The Interceptor shipped from Singapore.
It finally got to houston and got stuck for the last couple days in a zipcode one number off from mine.
Now the tracking says "Insuffient Address" and is on it's way back to sender. :face-with-head-bandage:

So this morning I did what I should have done 2 weeks ago instead of being lazy and trying to save half the cost, and I went to my vet and got the Interceptor. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Just dosed the first $20 pill so we'll see how it goes!
Skimmer is off and sock is out. We'll replace the sock and turn the skimmer back on tonite.
Tank is very cloudy at the moment!

On another note, my GHL Versia Stream powerhead stopped working. The Versia contoller seems to be fine, so I guess its something wrong with the powerhead itself or the power supply. Anyway, I submitted a ticket with GHL yesterday and today a replacement pump is on it's way!

I still have another powerhead in the tank so no worries about flow while waiting for the replacement.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week's update...

Got the GHL pump replacement in a few days and installed it. Back up and running!
Looks like it was the pump head itself. Power supply and controller were all fine.
Thank you, @Vinny@GHLUSA !

Dosed the second treatment of Interceptor last night.
The first dose seemed to go just fine. I think I've lost most of my hermits but turbo snails are still going. Starfish is fine. Cucumber is good. All fish of course. The jury is out on my two urchins. Haven't seen much movement from them at all but they still seem to be alive if, no spine loss.

After the first treatment I did spot one white bug still on an sps but haven't seem them lately.

And the best part... this dude was finally incapicitated enough for me to pull him out. Still didn't like the forceps I used but he couldn't put up much of a fight.
Now maybe my refresh of CUC after treatments are done will last a little longer! :grinning-squinting-face:

1708704432028.jpeg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another thread but just to update the old build thread here...

Here's a shot of one sps before with the bugs.
And then a comparison closeup of a portion of it... before on the left, after on the right.
Looks like no more bugs and there is some texture difference in the coral.
20240127-_DSC0777-Reef-Crop.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 3.09.28 PM.png

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third and final Interceptor treatment complete!

And my kids are helping me figure out this Ticky Tocky fad. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :winking-face-with-tongue:

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! You’ll hear from Samantha Obergas about shipping and stuff. She actually lives down the street from me.

On her recommendation I went with a Sicce. Got the SDC 6.0. You can run it around 65%-80% power before it starts to be too much flow for the sump. If I remember correctly it didn’t need any additional fittings.
HI Dennis:

I've got water in the system this weekend. Plan on adding my rock (live rock from my sump on my sps system)and maybe some livestock next week. You were spot on - the system is awesome. From your response above regarding the SDC 6.0 - glad I went with this pump - silent operation as you noted. You said you run can run it between 65 and 80% power - what do you run yours at? At the higher speeds, I get a trickling noise at the filter sock chamber - I can turn it down to resolve this but would like your input as to what you have found best. I can also eliminate the sound with a higher sump water level but the float valve for the ATO is maxed out at current level so increasing it will eventually mess with my salinity. Glad you are a year ahead of me so I can pick your brain on these issues. Overall - full agreement with the build quality and function of the system. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Best,

Greg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Dennis:

I've got water in the system this weekend. Plan on adding my rock (live rock from my sump on my sps system)and maybe some livestock next week. You were spot on - the system is awesome. From your response above regarding the SDC 6.0 - glad I went with this pump - silent operation as you noted. You said you run can run it between 65 and 80% power - what do you run yours at? At the higher speeds, I get a trickling noise at the filter sock chamber - I can turn it down to resolve this but would like your input as to what you have found best. I can also eliminate the sound with a higher sump water level but the float valve for the ATO is maxed out at current level so increasing it will eventually mess with my salinity. Glad you are a year ahead of me so I can pick your brain on these issues. Overall - full agreement with the build quality and function of the system. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Best,

Greg
Glad to hear it! :D

Try 70%. That's where mine is. I've also noticed that if i go too high, when I cut the power for feeding or maintenance the system makes a loud banging noise as the overflow empties into the sump.

Arkayology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, update on the bugs:

I ordered from CanadaPetCare.com over 2 weeks ago. The Interceptor shipped from Singapore.
It finally got to houston and got stuck for the last couple days in a zipcode one number off from mine.
Now the tracking says "Insuffient Address" and is on it's way back to sender. :face-with-head-bandage:

So this morning I did what I should have done 2 weeks ago instead of being lazy and trying to save half the cost, and I went to my vet and got the Interceptor. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Just dosed the first $20 pill so we'll see how it goes!
Skimmer is off and sock is out. We'll replace the sock and turn the skimmer back on tonite.
Tank is very cloudy at the moment!

On another note, my GHL Versia Stream powerhead stopped working. The Versia contoller seems to be fine, so I guess its something wrong with the powerhead itself or the power supply. Anyway, I submitted a ticket with GHL yesterday and today a replacement pump is on it's way!

I still have another powerhead in the tank so no worries about flow while waiting for the replacement.
1710209522197.png

I'm glad that you were able to get it eventually. No more bugs!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Dennis.
Those corals are encrusting nicely.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back