Damage to eyes from Blue light.

T Carey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran across this article on Phys.org. Since we use a lot of blue light on reef tanks I thought it is worth discussing.

Blue light from digital devices and the sun transforms vital molecules in the eye's retina into cell killers, according to optical chemistry research at The University of Toledo.

The process outlined in the study, which was recently published in the journal Scientific Reports, leads to age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in the United States.

"We are being exposed to blue light continuously, and the eye's cornea and lens cannot block or reflect it," Dr. Ajith Karunarathne, assistant professor in the UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, said. "It's no secret that blue light harms our vision by damaging the eye's retina. Our experiments explain how this happens, and we hope this leads to therapies that slow macular degeneration, such as a new kind of eye drop."

Macular degeneration, an incurable eye disease that results in significant vision loss starting on average in a person's 50s or 60s, is the death of photoreceptor cells in the retina. Those cells need molecules called retinal to sense light and trigger a cascade of signaling to the brain.

"You need a continuous supply of retinal molecules if you want to see," Karunarathne said. "Photoreceptors are useless without retinal, which is produced in the eye."

Karunarathne's lab found that blue light exposure causes retinal to trigger reactions that generate poisonous chemical molecules in photoreceptor cells.

"It's toxic. If you shine blue light on retinal, the retinal kills photoreceptor cells as the signaling molecule on the membrane dissolves," Kasun Ratnayake, a Ph.D. student researcher working in Karunarathne's cellular photo chemistry group, said. "Photoreceptor cells do not regenerate in the eye. When they're dead, they're dead for good."

Karunarathne introduced retinal molecules to other cell types in the body, such as cancer cells, heart cells and neurons. When exposed to blue light, these cell types died as a result of the combination with retinal. Blue light alone or retinal without blue light had no effect on cells.

"No activity is sparked with green, yellow or red light," Karunarathne said. "The retinal-generated toxicity by blue light is universal. It can kill any cell type."

The researcher found that a molecule called alpha tocoferol, a Vitamin E derivative and a natural antioxidant in the eye and body, stops the cells from dying. However, as a person ages or the immune system is suppressed, people lose the ability to fight against the attack by retinal and blue light.

"That is when the real damage occurs," Karunarathne said.The lab currently is measuring light coming from television, cell phone and tablet screens to get a better understanding of how the cells in the eyes respond to everyday blue light exposure.

"If you look at the amount of light coming out of your cell phone, it's not great but it seems tolerable," Dr. John Payton, visiting assistant professor in the UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, said. "Some cell phone companies are adding blue-light filters to the screens, and I think that is a good idea."

To protect your eyes from blue light, Karunarathne advises to wear sunglasses that can filter both UV and blue light outside and avoid looking at your cell phones or tablets in the dark.

"Every year more than two million new cases of age-related macular degeneration are reported in the United States," Karunarathne said. "By learning more about the mechanisms of blindness in search of a method to intercept toxic reactions caused by the combination of retinal and blue light, we hope to find a way to protect the vision of children growing up in a high-tech world."

Explore further: Fruit fly breakthrough may help human blindness research

More information: Kasun Ratnayake et al, Blue light excited retinal intercepts cellular signaling, Scientific Reports (2018). DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-28254-8

Journal reference: Scientific Reports

Provided by: University of Toledo

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-08-chemists-blue.html#jCp

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran across this article on Phys.org. Since we use a lot of blue light on reef tanks I thought it is worth discussing.

Blue light from digital devices and the sun transforms vital molecules in the eye's retina into cell killers, according to optical chemistry research at The University of Toledo.

The process outlined in the study, which was recently published in the journal Scientific Reports, leads to age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in the United States.

"We are being exposed to blue light continuously, and the eye's cornea and lens cannot block or reflect it," Dr. Ajith Karunarathne, assistant professor in the UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, said. "It's no secret that blue light harms our vision by damaging the eye's retina. Our experiments explain how this happens, and we hope this leads to therapies that slow macular degeneration, such as a new kind of eye drop."

Macular degeneration, an incurable eye disease that results in significant vision loss starting on average in a person's 50s or 60s, is the death of photoreceptor cells in the retina. Those cells need molecules called retinal to sense light and trigger a cascade of signaling to the brain.

"You need a continuous supply of retinal molecules if you want to see," Karunarathne said. "Photoreceptors are useless without retinal, which is produced in the eye."

Karunarathne's lab found that blue light exposure causes retinal to trigger reactions that generate poisonous chemical molecules in photoreceptor cells.

"It's toxic. If you shine blue light on retinal, the retinal kills photoreceptor cells as the signaling molecule on the membrane dissolves," Kasun Ratnayake, a Ph.D. student researcher working in Karunarathne's cellular photo chemistry group, said. "Photoreceptor cells do not regenerate in the eye. When they're dead, they're dead for good."

Karunarathne introduced retinal molecules to other cell types in the body, such as cancer cells, heart cells and neurons. When exposed to blue light, these cell types died as a result of the combination with retinal. Blue light alone or retinal without blue light had no effect on cells.

"No activity is sparked with green, yellow or red light," Karunarathne said. "The retinal-generated toxicity by blue light is universal. It can kill any cell type."

The researcher found that a molecule called alpha tocoferol, a Vitamin E derivative and a natural antioxidant in the eye and body, stops the cells from dying. However, as a person ages or the immune system is suppressed, people lose the ability to fight against the attack by retinal and blue light.

"That is when the real damage occurs," Karunarathne said.The lab currently is measuring light coming from television, cell phone and tablet screens to get a better understanding of how the cells in the eyes respond to everyday blue light exposure.

"If you look at the amount of light coming out of your cell phone, it's not great but it seems tolerable," Dr. John Payton, visiting assistant professor in the UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, said. "Some cell phone companies are adding blue-light filters to the screens, and I think that is a good idea."

To protect your eyes from blue light, Karunarathne advises to wear sunglasses that can filter both UV and blue light outside and avoid looking at your cell phones or tablets in the dark.

"Every year more than two million new cases of age-related macular degeneration are reported in the United States," Karunarathne said. "By learning more about the mechanisms of blindness in search of a method to intercept toxic reactions caused by the combination of retinal and blue light, we hope to find a way to protect the vision of children growing up in a high-tech world."

Explore further: Fruit fly breakthrough may help human blindness research

More information: Kasun Ratnayake et al, Blue light excited retinal intercepts cellular signaling, Scientific Reports (2018). DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-28254-8

Journal reference: Scientific Reports

Provided by: University of Toledo

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-08-chemists-blue.html#jCp

Thanks for sharing. I try to stress to my kids to never look at the light (currently LED). I tell them it is like looking at the sun which, of course, it is. I wonder if LED is worse than Metal Halide because of the focus from the lenses.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to wear glasses for 38 years, I never realized wearing them was actually saving my site since prescription lenses come with UV protection. This really hit home when my wife had cataract surgery and they replaced her lenses with Bausch and Lomb and she no longer has to wear glasses. But the minute she goes out side she slaps those sunglasses on because for the first time in her life the sun bugs here.

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I try to stress to my kids to never look at the light (currently LED). I tell them it is like looking at the sun which, of course, it is. I wonder if LED is worse than Metal Halide because of the focus from the lenses.

I have noticed that with the canopy open later in the day for prolonged periods my eyes really bother me, I do have kessil's . It is possible that I just tend to look up towards the pendants when sitting on the couch. I had such a problem before the canopy that I actually changed the % of blue. Never have had an issue in natural light but then again I never look directly at the sun...

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine what this blue light does to your fishes eyes - they're in a glass box with no chance of protection from blue light.... unless, they have a diet that contains organic compounds called mycosporine-like amino acids (MAAs.) MAAs are produced only by plants through the shikimate pathway and fishes can concentrate them in their ocular lenses to act as natural sunglasses. I read the abstracts of several papers related to impacts of blue light on human eyes and didn't see either specific wavelengths used in the studies, nor dosage. Need more info.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we think about people who live in places like Montana or Alaska and work outside? The navy and shipping out at sea

The sky is blue. And very bright.

I’ve worked outside for decades and use Light and color meters there. I know how much and what color it is.

This should be even more concerning than your tank and cell phone I believe.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we think about people who live in places like Montana or Alaska and work outside? The navy and shipping out at sea

The sky is blue. And very bright.

I’ve worked outside for decades and use Light and color meters there. I know how much and what color it is.

This should be even more concerning than your tank and cell phone I believe.
There you are. It's been a while. :)

valanteman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thank you for sharing. My father has Macular degeneration and it’s changed his life for the worst we are now having to seek outside help for his deterring condition. We will be taking him for stem cell therapy next year. So will the blue light still damage if we don’t look at it for long periods? My tank is constantly blue and in my front room which is worrying. What can I do?

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came here looking for this post. I have been wondering about this since my computer and phone both have blue light filter options.

Should we be wearing glasses when viewing?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use orange glasses and have a little guard i put up to block the light sometimes. Usually it's a piece of paper to block its rays but also use plastic

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back