Damaged product in shipping

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a skimmer. They shipped it to me and arrived broken. Their insurance will cover the cost. But they are asking me to send back the broken skimmer while they already sent a new skimmer.

So im wondering, if they recieved 1000 dollars in insurance money and recieve back the broken skimmer too they are recieving essentially 2000 dollars. (Cost of skimmer and the broken unit= 2000)

Now shouldn't this damaged skimmer be mine if hes claiming insurance for the broken one? Or would it be fair if both parties dont get the skimmer and it goes in the garbage. Should i send it back or keep it?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 cents. You bought a skimmer, they are sending you a skimmer. You are square. Throwing it away so they don't get something extra on top of insurance just seems petty.
Yes i wouldn't throw it away. But im the one suffering here waiting another week or two. Why should they benefit again? Id love to keep both and fix the broken one but really whats right or wrong?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes i wouldn't throw it away. But im the one suffering here waiting another week or two. Why should they benefit again? Id love to keep both and fix the broken one but really whats right or wrong?

If I was a store, I would let you keep it. Since I am an individual, I would want it back for extra parts, etc. Plus insurance is always a gamble, it's not a guarantee everything will be returned, etc, etc, etc. As long as they pay for return label, I think just ship it back and call it a day. Good karma and much less drama in your life.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I bought a UV that came with a shattered sleeve, vendor wanted it back. They put a lock on my CC that would only be relieved once the return came in. AquaIllumincation did the same with a broken Hydra back in the day.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or would it be fair if both parties dont get the skimmer and it goes in the garbage.

This is how retail generally works with damaged items. Every time you return a defective/broken product, the retailer is required to send photos in of the product in an "Un-resellable" state after the damage photos have been taken. This was the only way to recieve any form of money back.

I remember a few times working at Canadian Tire where we had to cut brand new canoes and kayaks in half and send the photos off to the manufacturer. The only thing wrong with them is they were either dented or missing a few rivets. Tiny issues but if the store was to be refunded any money, the manufacturer wanted a guarantee that the products could not be re-sold.

I'm guessing the retailer is requesting the product back on behalf of the manufacturer as they want proof it's destroyed. In the manufacturers eyes, why would they give you a Free $1000 skimmer (Yes I know it's not actually worth that but you catch my drift)?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree guys. The skimmer has pictures of the damage. Everything is proven already.

I might just send him back the body and keep the extra beckett. At least i got something out of all this bs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They for me want it back, they can send a return label
If you’re going to fix it, the civil thing to do is request a partial refund. I’m not going to sit here upset getting 2 skimmers for price if one and be upset about seller getting a refund.
I’m in essence stealing one

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not going to sit here upset getting 2 skimmers for price if one and be upset about seller getting a refund.
I’m in essence stealing one
What are you saying here? He should recieve it or me?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What are you saying here? He should recieve it or me?
If he wants it back, he can send a label. At the same token, if he is being compensated without loss- then he did his job and sent you a whole unit and doesn’t need the broken unit unless he’s not getting a replacement credit plus Shipping
I assume you’re getting no refund- just replacement?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion you're ultimately getting what you paid for, even if there is a delay in getting the replacement. The damaged one should be returned to the seller. They probably want it back to insure that it really is broken and it's not someone trying to get an extra free one (not insinuating that you would but some people would).
My wife worked for an Amazon call center and you'd be amazed at how many people called saying they didn't receive and item and Amazon would just send them out a new one no questions asked, and some of the items were relatively expensive (several hundred dollars up to about a thousand). I always wondered what stopped me from doing it but I couldn't do it in good conscience.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no
If he wants it back, he can send a label. At the same token, if he is being compensated without loss- then he did his job and sent you a whole unit and doesn’t need the broken unit unless he’s not getting a replacement credit plus Shipping
I assume you’re getting no refund- just replacement?
Yes just a replacement skimmer. Ive lost my time is all. The skimmer is worth 950 dollars. Its an easy fix, glue the lid back with weldon. He will benefit 2x imo.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it but was it bought from a large company or an individual? If from a large company they wouldn't be able to sell the broken one so they don't benefit from the returned item (although I'm sure some employee within the company will get a nice freebie).
Have you asked about keeping the broken item or just going off the fact that they said to return it?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"So im wondering, if they recieved 1000 dollars in insurance money and recieve back the broken skimmer too they are recieving essentially 2000 dollars. (Cost of skimmer and the broken unit= 2000)"

Let's turn this statement upside down. They are sending you a new skimmer and you are keeping the broken one (total cost is $2000). Why do you think it is OK to pay $1000 for two skimmers? You have a contract with the vendor for one skimmer which you will get, but delayed. You send the old one back on their nickel and get the new one. Both sides even. Insurance has nothing to do with you. That is between the vendor and the insurance company.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it but was it bought from a large company or an individual? If from a large company they wouldn't be able to sell the broken one so they don't benefit from the returned item (although I'm sure some employee within the company will get a nice freebie).
Have you asked about keeping the broken item or just going off the fact that they said to return it?
Its bought from the manufacturer where i live.

I talked to the comapny owner on the phone, he just said, "well need the broken one back".

Im just thinking they benefit 3x here. Which is crazy imo.

The lid is broken, 3 nylon screws, and the flange on the cup. All can be glued back together with weld on lol.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"So im wondering, if they recieved 1000 dollars in insurance money and recieve back the broken skimmer too they are recieving essentially 2000 dollars. (Cost of skimmer and the broken unit= 2000)"

Let's turn this statement upside down. They are sending you a new skimmer and you are keeping the broken one (total cost is $2000). Why do you think it is OK to pay $1000 for two skimmers? You have a contract with the vendor for one skimmer which you will get, but delayed. You send the old one back on their nickel and get the new one. Both sides even. Insurance has nothing to do with you. That is between the vendor and the insurance company.
Because is that how business works? I win, you loose?

His material cost and labor is all it cost him.

It cost me 3 weeks. How much is that worth?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's from the manufacturer directly I would say they do benefit because they can just put a new lid on and then resale, so they probably do benefit from it. I now see where you're coming from but in my opinion it's still their decision what happens with the old one, although I'd think in the interest of customer satisfaction they would have you prove the damage then let you keep it.
The crazy thing to me is that they didn't just send you a replacement lid.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back