Damaged product in shipping

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's such an easy fix - why did you request a replacement? You should have fixed it.
I would have to disagree with this unless the seller would be willing to do a partial refund like was mentioned earlier. It wouldn't be acceptable to pay full price for an item just for me to have to fix it.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be your plan to keep the broken one? Seller sending you a new one and should be want the broken back I dont see an issue since he is replacing it for you anyways.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's such an easy fix - why did you request a replacement? You should have fixed it.
I did tell them. He said you shouldn't have to fix it yourself. True. But give me something for it.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You paid for 1 skimmer, therefore you should only receive 1 skimmer.

What the company does or does not do or profit from the damaged product should not concern you. Seems easy enough to me.
I paid for 1 skimmer. I paid for 3 weeks of waiting. I wouldn't recieve two new skimmers. Id recieve 1 new one and 1 broken skimmer.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did tell them. He said you shouldn't have to fix it yourself. True. But give me something for it.

I think this is the part I don't follow. They didn't break it, you didn't break it. Why do you think you deserve something for it??? Ship it back for a full refund and go with another vendor/product. You are still in a same situation.

Although this isn't your fault, it's not vendor's fault either. You are trying to stiff them specifically, not the shipping company which is most probably who broke the skimmer.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be your plan to keep the broken one? Seller sending you a new one and should be want the broken back I dont see an issue since he is replacing it for you anyways.
I would fix it (my time) and labour. And use two lol. The issue is i have waited too long. I would also cost me time to go to the post office and drop it off when i dont want to.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid for 1 skimmer. I paid for 3 weeks of waiting. I wouldn't recieve two new skimmers. Id recieve 1 new one and 1 broken skimmer.
One thing I'd like to point out is that when you refer to the company getting the $1000 that you paid and the broken skimmer back you referred to them getting basically $2000, which makes me believe you think the skimmer is still worth close to full value.
So I'm not sure that I completely understand why you argue that you wouldn't be getting 2 new skimmers (I understand that one is broken but you've stated it's an easy cheap fix).
I get that having to wait so long on a replacement sucks but ultimately I see that the company did the right thing and didn't fight you on getting a replacement.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do i get out of it?

What does he get out of it?

This is the problem.

-It cost me 3 weeks
-It cost him weld on glue, and 30 minutes of time.

I wasnt offered nothing for this crap
He benefits 3x

Now fair would be he gets a skimmer back that is really broken! Unrepairable!
But hes goimg to pay to get it back! Why? Because he profits!

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not mad, im just passionate about being fair guys.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and this would be fair, exactly my point.
If you destroyed it, the vendor would just charge you for that.

I understand that you are losing time for waiting. But its not the vendor's fault for breaking the skimmer.

Insurance issue is between vendor and shipping company.

What do i get out of it?

What does he get out of it?

This is the problem.

-It cost me 3 weeks
-It cost him weld on glue, and 30 minutes of time.

I wasnt offered nothing for this crap
He benefits 3x

Now fair would be he gets a skimmer back that is really broken! Unrepairable!
But hes goimg to pay to get it back! Why? Because he profits!

Vendor is already doing the right thing by giving you a new skimmer.
Yes, in the end he might profit a bit. But what happen if he didn't send you a new one? Just give you a partial refund and tell you to fix it?
He would risk his reputation.

Which you will blast here or everywhere else for him being unfair, etc

You are not talking about fairness.
You just want to profit from shipping company faults.

If you want fair, that skimmer belong to the shipping company then. Cause they are paying for the damage.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am i reading this right, i just can't believe this...you received what you paid for, **** happens...now you want something else, don't care what you waited for that happens..

you are basically asking exactly what you are saying the vendor is doing...

and the looks of things on this post folks are telling you you are wrong in that thinking but you are ignoring them...

move on and don't sweat the small stuff..

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

1: if the seller makes the skimmer, and the parts can by your definition be repaired, that doesn't mean he can sell it again.

Would you have been happy to receive a clearly glued back together acrylic part on your skimmer? No. So he can't sell it.

2: MAYBE at best, the seller finds the time to repair it, sells it as used or damaged, or gives it away. That isn't just 5 minutes of their time, as a manufacturer it is a huge hassle and basically half a days work to deal with something out of the ordinary like that. He's still not gaining from it...

Let's say you paid $100 and it cost him $50 to make. It arrives broken and he has to spend at LEAST a few hours keeping track of emailing you back and forth, dealing with shipping insurance (far more work than you realize) deal with making you a new one or taking one out of stock that may have gone to a second order, now he's out $50 for the second skimmer, plus the time involved.

You've paid $100 and understandably been put out by maybe a couple of days, **** happens. I would bet that if you weren't arguing it would have been much less of a wait.

He is now out $50 worth of stock/materials and you still get your skimmer for the same price you always paid PLUS you want to keep an entire second unit that you could sell, repair and sell, or use for spare parts?

End of the day, the dude isn't making money here.

You want two skimmers because you're annoyed that the first one broke and the seller should have to suffer for that?

Dude, get real. Send it back, stop being petty and be glad he made an effort to make it right.

Apart from the following facts...
- it may not be repairable
- The shipper may not pay insurance at all or for several months
- you've wasted a significant amount of their time too. Your time is only an annoyance, their time spent dealing with you is literally pulling money out of their pocket.
- you still get your skimmer for the same price at the end of the day, you're in no way entitled to keep two.
- if you went to a store, told them your item was broken, and only had photos of it, they wouldn't give you a refund. Just because a shipper is the middle man, this isn't any different.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back