Damaged top fin-Mandarin

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see there is a chunk missing from my mandarin’s top fin (female).

In the tank I have:
Foxface lo
2 clowns
Banggai cardinal
Cleaner wrasse
Large Halloween crab
Small hermits-approx 6
Snails

Sometimes I see damage on my fox face after the tank lights come on but this has been less and less over the last month. It looks like scrapes or a small cut On its body. But the chunk out of the mandarin fin is worrying me A LOT! She is tiny (captive bred) and only been in the tank for a few months. I do not see any fish going after her during the day.
I do see the foxface and cardinal fighting a bit but this has really decreased over the last couple of months.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I don’t want to see anything else happens to my beautiful mandarin!!!

0812B905-6357-433A-94D8-8CC065C32EBE.jpeg

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if she's moving around and picking at the rocks and eating she'll be fine. My guess was it was probably the clowns if they're breeding going after her if she got too close to their eggs. I've seen them harass my mandarin before when she was super small when I got her (she's captive bred) but now that she's almost 3 inches they leave her alone. Mandarins are colored and marked like that to tell other fish they're toxic if eaten (got to love nature like that) so I doubt anyone was trying to eat her...

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is happily moving around and eating so I’ll just give the clowns a stern talking to, maybe a time out ;)
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the info.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back