OP
OP
bryan

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's just the one towel. The ones I buy are perforated at what seems to be half sheets...so I use two of them...appears to be a normal sized full sheet then.

Then do the burrito wrap, and using a bag pretty close to that size seems to help keep jostling to a minimum.

On a side note, we hit 30degrees with a wind chill last night, it was all the heaters could do to keep the water at about 68-69 degrees....was a bit stressful, but looking at the tanks you'd never know they cared. Water at about 70-71 now as the lights have been on a while. :fucyc:

jabol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks to Bryan for great stuff. All frags came in perfect shape. I will post some pictures later.

Witold

BradL.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent discussion all ! So nice to see that we all are still learning and have bits and pieces to add from experiences.

I'm lookig forward to running my temp control test, though it may be delayed a day or two as some things have come up I need to attend to.

I had an idea last night I think will give us some decent data. I have 3-4 wirreless temp probes I can finally use :) I plan on building a normal shipping box, and actually have forgone the idea of using live zoanthids in my test...no reason to risk it on an extreme test even if they are ugly :)

I will place a probe in the damp paper towels, a probe in a normal amount of shipping water, and a probe in the void area of the box. Over a 3-4 day period I'll be able to monitor which holds better.

Should be fun, I'll catch up with you all soon. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Peace, bryan

This was a good idea. I hope it really happens.

OP
OP
bryan

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah it will happen :) Almost immediately after my idea, the weather here in Florida has been very mild, with no real cold to speak of. As soon as we get our next cold snap I'll be probing up the boxes.

Thanks, and all you northeners feel free to send some of that cold down here!

Peace, Bryan

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that they can sustain 2 days and no more....if i read correctly....

Steve :)

Grim Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a damp paper towel would freeze before a bag of water.. temperature would also change faster.. this is a good method for zoas and palys though.. as they are rather hardy..

would anyone try this method with some purple deaths or better? i doubt it!

it would have been nice to see the other half of the pictorial (the reciever's experience)..

Last edited:
OP
OP
bryan

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the only shipment that hasn't worked out is when the USPS forgot they were supposed to deliver :)

We've still been so unseaonably warm here, but looks to be getting closer to some colder weather and I can do the temp tests.

Seems only in Florida can I be running fans on tanks to cool them in January! :)

Peace, Bryan

Last edited:

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think this need to added?

http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home&page=0061calculatepostage

https://www.redroller.com/shippingcenter/home
This will help a lot of people who continue to ask, "How much for shiping?"

It is really hard to do until they decided what method they want and how much.

Awsome thread Bryan, will this method work with Banana Pancakes? LOL

"My wallets gettin thin and I lost my watch last night, just one answer gotta through it all down and kiss it good by" OAR

Last edited:

coralmansan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast do dry shipped corals recover (open up) after they are recieved? Same day or do they seem to take a few days?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We will be posting a new damp shipping tutorial later on. The pictures were hosted on a site that is no longer available. So for now this thread is no good.

Thanks and keep a look out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back