Damsel (Chrysiptera) Only Community Tank ...Bad Idea?

missilemanwalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am relatively new to this, only a little over a year in saltwater (many more years of freshwater) experience. I love Damsels, I have 2 in my 150G, and 1 in my 40G.

I just got done cycling a 30G, and am wondering if it is possible to do a Damsel Only tank. I am thinking of stocking it with 4 or 5 Damsels, specifically: Springer (Chrysiptera Springeri), Azure (Chrysiptera hemicyanea), Talbot’s (Chrysiptera talboti), Rolland’s (Chrysiptera rollandi), and maybe a Tracey's (Chrysiptera traceyi) OR Tuxedo (Chrysiptera tricincta).

One of the methods of curbing aggression with African Cichlids is overstocking. Since there are many fish, it keeps one from getting singled out and bullied. I have a 75 Gallon with 22 Cichlids and have no aggression issues. Would this logic apply to Damsels as well?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, no. They’ll be ok when they’re smaller but when the get big one decides it wants to be male and becomes the tank boss. You can do like 3 maybe in a 30 gallon anyway just based on size. My four stripe is so big now that he’s the only fish I have in my 16 gallon

Upvote 0

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt it would work IMO. I had three Regal damsels, which were on the larger side, in a 90 gal and it was still an issue. Especially as more time went on and the more comfortable they got, the more aggressive they got. Not just each other but with the inverts as well. They'd bully anything that moved.

Upvote 0

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not a good idea in a 30G, even with hiding spots. In a significantly larger tank with enough hiding spots, I’ve seen people do it successfully. The species you’ve chosen are pretty peaceful for the most part but I feel in a 30G you’re really limited to one specimen, and that’s if you have fish that can stand up to it.

Rolland’s are sort of drab unless you get the South Pacific ones. They’re the ones with yellow “caps” on their head. If I could only pick one damsel, I’d do an Azure or Springeri for that shade of blue.

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My four stripe is so big now that he’s the only fish I have in my 16 gallon
Not a Chrysiptera genus. That one is in the Dascyllus genus, and they are among the biggest and meanest damsels.
I had three Regal damsels, which were on the larger side, in a 90 gal and it was still an issue. Especially as more time went on and the more comfortable they got, the more aggressive they got. Not just each other but with the inverts as well. They'd bully anything that moved.
Also not a Chrysiptera

So I am relatively new to this, only a little over a year in saltwater (many more years of freshwater) experience. I love Damsels, I have 2 in my 150G, and 1 in my 40G.

I just got done cycling a 30G, and am wondering if it is possible to do a Damsel Only tank. I am thinking of stocking it with 4 or 5 Damsels, specifically: Springer (Chrysiptera Springeri), Azure (Chrysiptera hemicyanea), Talbot’s (Chrysiptera talboti), Rolland’s (Chrysiptera rollandi), and maybe a Tracey's (Chrysiptera traceyi) OR Tuxedo (Chrysiptera tricincta).

One of the methods of curbing aggression with African Cichlids is overstocking. Since there are many fish, it keeps one from getting singled out and bullied. I have a 75 Gallon with 22 Cichlids and have no aggression issues. Would this logic apply to Damsels as well?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Is it a 3 foot tank? Grown out stony corals could help.

Upvote 0

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 domino damsels / 2 clownfish 1 black white damsel and other various fish in a 40b , they all get along with the domino damsel being top dawg lol

Upvote 0

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not on your list but I have heard of some luck keeping Allen’s damsels in a group but had read there was better luck long term in a bigger tank. Was an idea I had debated but pushed it off as a possible stocking option when I do a larger tank.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a Chrysiptera genus. That one is in the Dascyllus genus, and they are among the biggest and meanest damsels.

Also not a Chrysiptera

Is it a 3 foot tank? Grown out stony corals could help.
Honestly, talbots are peaceful although it may not work out with multiple but having just one would still have VERY nice colours

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talbot's would be a good one to try.
Yeah, I would love a group of Talbot’s at some point. I don’t have any like “Shoaling fish” just wrasse, a CBB, Foxface and a tang

Upvote 0

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your opinion of having a pair of different species of Chrysiptera damsels? Like say a pair of Azure, a pair of Talbot’s, and a pair of the Taupou. I think even in multiples they tend to pair off.
Regarding your Foxface do you think they’ll out grow a 4x2x2 or even a 5x2x2? From what I’ve gathered they reach 8-8.5” (20-21cm) regularly and fairly quickly.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your opinion of having a pair of different species of Chrysiptera damsels? Like say a pair of Azure, a pair of Talbot’s, and a pair of the Taupou. I think even in multiples they tend to pair off.
Regarding your Foxface do you think they’ll out grow a 4x2x2 or even a 5x2x2? From what I’ve gathered they reach 8-8.5” (20-21cm) regularly and fairly quickly.
That “Fairyly quickly” Mine is 4-5” and I’ve had him for around 18 months (Bought at maybe 3.5”) He doesn’t swim that much and also, I haven’t seen an 8.5” Foxface in captivity that wasn’t already close to that from being caught. My tank being a 5’ diagonal gives him just enough swim room, but also they do more “Hover” in different places of the tank. Although yes they swim, mine isn’t a fast swimmer like a tang and they’re more of a peaceful swimmer and do it more slowly.
Regarding the pairing thing, Unless they’re caught as a pair I don’t think you could, I don’t think males and females are sexually dimorphic in any damselfish. I have heard in big enough groups (Obviously needing big tanks) damselfish aren’t as aggressive as a singular one because they’re all keeping eachother in check - This may only be for certain types of damselfish but my LFS does keep their talbolts and other chrysiptera damsels in bigger groups of their own species

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back