Damselfish Compatibility

Maine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that more than two clownfish usually don't do well together, but can I have two clowns and a damsel?

Plunker05@gmail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns and a Talbot Damsel in a 60 gal. with no problems. they stay in different area of the tank mostly.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to clarify.... what damsel you are thinking about. I have had experience with smaller damsels that grow up into little.... they will kill everything that has fins and swims...they will start with each other... and then move to other fish. There was one particular one... it was a black and yellow.....stripped one... That I swear was the meanest fish... that I have ever had. They were vicious. The last one remaining.... It killed everything... It started small.... colorful.... and grew into a terror.

The other consideration.... what kind of clowns? Tomato? Clarki?.... Perc... a designer... Each variety can be different. I know of a tomato clown that was quite the little prick. A 65 gal with a couple of larger clowns... that pair off.... can be kind of small too.... depending how much rock you have.

If you get a couple of small clowns.... start with them. Let them get established... then introduce your damsel.... but stay on the less aggressive side... like a talbots or a springeri. I like the Spingeri as they double as a flatworm muncher. I have three in my 180.... they hide from the bigger fish and dash in and out of the rock. But they take care of any flatworms in the tank. They get great blue and iridescent blue stripes..

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to clarify.... what damsel you are thinking about. I have had experience with smaller damsels that grow up into little ********.... they will kill everything that has fins and swims...they will start with each other... and then move to other fish. There was one particular one... it was a black and yellow.....stripped one... That I swear was the meanest fish... that I have ever had. They were vicious. The last one remaining.... It killed everything... It started small.... colorful.... and grew into a terror.

The other consideration.... what kind of clowns? Tomato? Clarki?.... Perc... a designer... Each variety can be different. I know of a tomato clown that was quite the little prick. A 65 gal with a couple of larger clowns... that pair off.... can be kind of small too.... depending how much rock you have.

If you get a couple of small clowns.... start with them. Let them get established... then introduce your damsel.... but stay on the less aggressive side... like a talbots or a springeri. I like the Spingeri as they double as a flatworm muncher. I have three in my 180.... they hide from the bigger fish and dash in and out of the rock. But they take care of any flatworms in the tank. They get great blue and iridescent blue stripes..

I second all of this! I have a single Occelaris clown and a sapphire (springer) damsel that get along well in a 37g.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is only slightly on topic, but you guys ever see any of your damsels munch algae?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noori sheets don't count, unfortunately. ;) But you have seen them graze live algae a little bit?

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noori sheets don't count, unfortunately. ;) But you have seen them graze live algae a little bit?

I don't think I have ever seen them graze on algae on rock. Rather, I think they are feeding on pods and other micro fauna. The Nori...when ripped up by tangs looks a lot like flake food...which may explain why damsels may eat it. Other than that.... no... I don't think I have seen damsels feed on algae.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back