Damselfish Compatibility

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Maine Reefer, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:11 PM.

1. Maine Reefer

Maine Reefer Well-Known Member

I know that more than two clownfish usually don't do well together, but can I have two clowns and a damsel?

Tags:

2. 1MCp

1MCp Well-Known Member

I've seen a pair of clowns do well with damsel. What size is the tank in question?

mcarroll and Maine Reefer like this.
  3. Maine Reefer

Its a 65 gallon

4. 1MCp

1MCp Well-Known Member

That should be fine. I've seen a pair of clown and damsel at my LFS 60g cube. Been there for years.

Maine Reefer likes this.
  5. Maine Reefer

Thank you

6. Plunker05@gmail

Plunker05@gmail Member

I have a pair of clowns and a Talbot Damsel in a 60 gal. with no problems. they stay in different area of the tank mostly.

Maine Reefer likes this.
  7. dansreef

dansreef Well-Known Member

You may want to clarify.... what damsel you are thinking about. I have had experience with smaller damsels that grow up into little.... they will kill everything that has fins and swims...they will start with each other... and then move to other fish. There was one particular one... it was a black and yellow.....stripped one... That I swear was the meanest fish... that I have ever had. They were vicious. The last one remaining.... It killed everything... It started small.... colorful.... and grew into a terror.

The other consideration.... what kind of clowns? Tomato? Clarki?.... Perc... a designer... Each variety can be different. I know of a tomato clown that was quite the little prick. A 65 gal with a couple of larger clowns... that pair off.... can be kind of small too.... depending how much rock you have.

If you get a couple of small clowns.... start with them. Let them get established... then introduce your damsel.... but stay on the less aggressive side... like a talbots or a springeri. I like the Spingeri as they double as a flatworm muncher. I have three in my 180.... they hide from the bigger fish and dash in and out of the rock. But they take care of any flatworms in the tank. They get great blue and iridescent blue stripes..

8. cycled123

cycled123 Well-Known Member

I second all of this! I have a single Occelaris clown and a sapphire (springer) damsel that get along well in a 37g.

9. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I know this is only slightly on topic, but you guys ever see any of your damsels munch algae?

10. dansreef

In large quantities.... no. I have seen them munching particles from nori sheets that tangs have ripped up.

mcarroll likes this.
  11. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Noori sheets don't count, unfortunately. ;) But you have seen them graze live algae a little bit?

12. dansreef

I don't think I have ever seen them graze on algae on rock. Rather, I think they are feeding on pods and other micro fauna. The Nori...when ripped up by tangs looks a lot like flake food...which may explain why damsels may eat it. Other than that.... no... I don't think I have seen damsels feed on algae.

Draft saved Draft deleted