Damselfish-only 20 gallon?

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long that I've been researching possible fish inhabitants for. It has a rock boring urchin and a rock flower nem at the moment, as well as one shy mantis shrimp who stays in her hole (a smaller species, maybe viridis). I would like to add a few more rock flower nems, but the tank is packed full of copepods and some flatworms at the moment...and I would really like to get a fish in there to keep that in check.

If it was damselfish only, would 1-3 of the Azure (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) or yellow tails (Chrysiptera parasema) be too many? If damsels, I would keep it a species-only tank. Do damsels actively hunt for pods? Are they gonna fight with each other?

If I can't do a damselfish-only habitat in a 20 gallon, is there a mixture of small, active fish that would be OK with the rock flowers?

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. :) I think I'll probably end up with either a neon goby and a yellow clown goby, or maybe just get another pink streaked wrasse since I really love the one in my bigger tank. Damsels probably are too active for a 20.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. :) I think I'll probably end up with either a neon goby and a yellow clown goby, or maybe just get another pink streaked wrasse since I really love the one in my bigger tank. Damsels probably are too active for a 20.

Damsels are pretty frenetic. The smaller the tank, the more aggressive the fish. So I would think that any damsel in a 20 gallon would be a risk. But timorous fish like a neon goby should do fine in a 20 gallon. A fire fish should be good too and maybe a Bengai cardinal. Just think small and peaceful fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back