Damselfish reef questions

echarleston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start stocking my new 75 gallon reef tank late next month and am beginning to choose livestock. First of all, ocellaris clownfish are a must for me. They might be basic, cheap, and in just about every reef tank there is but they are still by far my favorite. I also love damselfish. The beautiful colors and shapes they come in are perfect for my tank but I also understand that they can be absolute jerks.

I was wondering based on people's experiences, whether certain damsels were more or less aggressive than others. My personal favorites are azure, yellowtail, four lined, and three spot dominos.

Do these different types of damsels get aggressive with eachother?

Would a 75 gallon have enough room to discourage territorial disputes?

My plan is to set up my live rock in a way that the tank has some clearly defined "territories" for separate species of fish. Would this help or does it seem like it wouldn't make much of a difference at all?

I appreciate any advice on how to have different damsels and clowns in my 75 gallon. If they just won't work together it's not the end of the world but I would be willing to arrange everything else in the tank around the damsels and clownfish.

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love damsels too especially the blue ones. I remember going diving a long time ago when I lived in the Phillipines and they were every where. I had two yellowtail and one humbug in a 55 a year ago. They were never a problem with each other but attacked anything new I added. I put them n my QT when I upgraded to a 125. They ended up killing each other in there. I now have a single blue damsel in QT. it and a yellow tang will be the last fish in my 125.
You might do fine in a 75 or you might not. Several might diffuse the aggression. I'd add them last and all at once.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dominoes and four lined damsels are quite aggressive. Damsels in the genus Chrysiptera are quite peaceful for damsels. More aggressive damsels species can certainly dominate less aggressive species.

Adding damsels all at once and last is good advice.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wanted to do an all damnsel tank, but the ones I wanted would have ended in a bloodbath. so I never did. hopefully youre looking at the right ones.

OP
OP
echarleston

echarleston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I'll probably give it a try with 1 or 2 azure damsels added last. Thanks for the help

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back