Damsels fighting with angelfish

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 135 Gallon tank no coral just lots of rocks and I recently added a Rock beauty a coral beauty a bicolour and a copperband butterfly and the Angels seem to not like my damsels and vice versa. The copperband is perfectly fine but the other fish seem to be charging and chasing each other nothing too extreme but they were just added is aggression normal when newly fish are added to a tank?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 135 Gallon tank no coral just lots of rocks and I recently added a Rock beauty a coral beauty a bicolour and a copperband butterfly and the Angels seem to not like my damsels and vice versa. The copperband is perfectly fine but the other fish seem to be charging and chasing each other nothing too extreme but they were just added is aggression normal when newly fish are added to a tank?
Hello, when new fish are added it's kinda like prison. Everyone has to reestablish the pecking order.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, when new fish are added it's kinda like prison. Everyone has to reestablish the pecking order.
So it is normal. The Rock beauty is the biggest guy but not very large. He doesn't like the damsels or the bi-color. The damsels do not like each other or the rock beauty. The coral beauty and copperband are kind of minding their own business seem to be happy otherwise

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is normal. The Rock beauty is the biggest guy but not very large. He doesn't like the damsels or the bi-color. The damsels do not like each other or the rock beauty. The coral beauty and copperband are kind of minding their own business seem to be happy otherwise
Yes perfectly normal. And it has nothing to do with size. It's the bullheadedness on the fish vs the timidness of the others.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small fish- damsels can run a tank and if it gets bad enough that little s*"t can cause some real issues
Im thinking they may become a problem. The Rock beauty gave up on chasing the damsels because theyre way too quick but they seem to still be coming around. if i have to take them back to the store id rather remove 2 15 dollar fish then a 130$ one

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes perfectly normal. And it has nothing to do with size. It's the bullheadedness on the fish vs the timidness of the others.
I took the damsels back to the store but the Rock beauty is still chasing the Bi-color. I know they kinda look similar but i was hoping theyd get along but any chance the beauty sees the bi color he charges at him but if the bi color loses the RB in the rocks he gives up on chasing.. should i be concerned or is this normal.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the damsels back to the store but the Rock beauty is still chasing the Bi-color. I know they kinda look similar but i was hoping theyd get along but any chance the beauty sees the bi color he charges at him but if the bi color loses the RB in the rocks he gives up on chasing.. should i be concerned or is this normal.
I don't have any experience in these fish someone else will have to give you advice on this issue, sorry

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just give it time. Like being in a new school. Some going to test you. Some tested will coward yet others will hold their ground. Survival of the fittest. It will play itself out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
While unwelcoming behavior is often normal, , its best to acclimate and release in the dark as I do or place new arrivals IN AN ACCLIMATION BOX. iT ALSO SUGGESTS THAT FISH WERE PLACED IN DISPLAY TANK, RATHER THAN QUARANTINED? (Oppos on caps)
Realize that Rock beauty and BiColor are two of the most challenging of dwarf angels and often start out eating and soon stop and also susceptible to velvet and abdominal swelling (reason i brought up quarantining).

You may want to keep lights low or blue only to keep fish calm and not so active and chasing for 58-72 hours

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of fish to add all at once but since no one asked what sort of damsels are we talking about? How many? And are any of them paired up and spawning?

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of fish to add all at once but since no one asked what sort of damsels are we talking about? How many? And are any of them paired up and spawning?
they were domino damsels and they were already in the tank. So i only added 4 fish. The rock beauty was actually in a tank at the store with another rock beauty which was odd and they were completely fine but when they got in the tank with the damsels the damsels came after the RB so idk if that turned him into a more defensive guy or maybe he just doesnt like my bi color

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about maybe removing them both for just a little bit rearranging the rocks turning the lights off then adding the Bi color in and then re adding the RB a while after maybe itll be a fresh start for both fish.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they were domino damsels and they were already in the tank. So i only added 4 fish. The rock beauty was actually in a tank at the store with another rock beauty which was odd and they were completely fine but when they got in the tank with the damsels the damsels came after the RB so idk if that turned him into a more defensive guy or maybe he just doesnt like my bi color

I owned one of these back in 1999 / 2000 but nothing recent so can't really comment. I will, however, say that the Domino, or three spot, is more aggressive. Territorial is probably more accurate as they mature. At least as I remember. If you are seeing aggression this would be one probable reason.

Outside of fish only systems most hobbyist with reefs buy Chrysiptera genus damsels. Azures, Talbot, Rolland's, Starcks, etc.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned one of these back in 1999 / 2000 but nothing recent so can't really comment. I will, however, say that the Domino, or three spot, is more aggressive. Territorial is probably more accurate as they mature. At least as I remember. If you are seeing aggression this would be one probable reason.

Outside of fish only systems most hobbyist with reefs buy Chrysiptera genus damsels. Azures, Talbot, Rolland's, Starcks, etc.
I have taken the damsels back to the store and i tried turning the lights off for a few hours nad it appears like i have succeeded or at least toned the aggression down a fair amount. So i am much happier the rock beauty is swimming more toward the top of the tank and he seems like a different fish but the bicolor keeps sneaking up to him out of curiousity im not sure why

Back