Stocking My 50 Gallon Aquarium, I would like a tang, an angel and a butterfly if possible.

Kinda_fishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I hope all you are doing well. As I said in the title I would love to keep an angelfish, a butterfly and a tang if possible. And I am not planning on getting a bigger tank. My tank is 80W x 42D x 65 cm. Here is the list of the fish that I am interested in getting. Pls note that i will be only getting one from each species of tang, angelfish and butterflyfish to decrease any possible aggression in the fish tank.

Tangs
- Scopas

Angelfish
- Coral Beauty
- Bicolour
- lemon peel

Butterfly fish
- Yellow Longnose
- Copperband

A pair of clownfish
A cleaners wrasse
A sixline Wrasse
A green Mandarin
A ruby Red dragonet
And a Hawk fish

Thannks for your advice everyone

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put a scopas in a 50g, borderline cruel and unusual. Yellow tang, smaller kole tang, tomini perhaps. It’ll be hit or miss whether an Angel, butterfly and tang tolerate each other in a tank that size… good luck

OP
OP
K

Kinda_fishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put a scopas in a 50g, borderline cruel and unusual. Yellow tang, smaller kole tang, tomini perhaps. It’ll be hit or miss whether an Angel, butterfly and tang tolerate each other in a tank that size… good luck
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the species of tang that you just recommended and in Australia where I am from they are quite expensive. Would it work if I leave out the tang and just do the Butterfly and an angel ?

And for the size of the tank what is stocking looking like? Overstocked?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copper band, one spot fox, two clown, bi color blenny and fairly wrasse in a 75 with minimal rock in the display. And feel it is a little to much. I would not add that many fish to a 50 gallon IMO

OP
OP
K

Kinda_fishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a bit more research, and found out that i could keep the butterfly fish in my tank. What some other fish that i didnt mention that i could possibily keep. Something bigger, out and about, the centrepiece fish.

I have a copper band, one spot fox, two clown, bi color blenny and fairly wrasse in a 75 with minimal rock in the display. And feel it is a little to much. I would not add that many fish to a 50 gallon IMO
I would say you can stock everything at the bottom of your list and maybe one dwarf Angel. That tank is too small for the others if you don’t plan on upgrading to at least a 125 gallon in my opinion.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
half the fish in your list are recommended to be in a much larger tank than 50 gallons, didn't you google it? Plus way too many fish in your list. You should have a gotten a larger tank for the livestock you want. Please do more research and respect the recommended fish tank sizes for the fishes sake.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank similar in size, 36x24x24 inches and keep some fish on your list. I keep a six line wrasse, tail spot blenny, copper band butterfly, flame angel, yellow tang, and two spot bristle tooth tang. They get along very well. The 2 spot and Angel will bother the blenny a little but he has holes in the rocks all over to dart into and they never chase, just an occasional dart as if to say your not welcome here. The yellow wasn't planned for this tank but when I added two into my 180 gallon one started getting very aggressive at the other so I had to remove one so I put it in this tank. These fish have only been together for around 6 months so not really long term but so far so good and I do have other tanks if things don't work out.
The four larger fish are shown at the beginning of this video. The sixline and blenny spend most of their time cruising the rocks and aren't shown. I apologize for the long video but I made it to record coral growth. The beginning shows the fish. I really like the color combination of fish in this tank.

OP
OP
K

Kinda_fishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank similar in size, 36x24x24 inches and keep some fish on your list. I keep a six line wrasse, tail spot blenny, copper band butterfly, flame angel, yellow tang, and two spot bristle tooth tang. They get along very well. The 2 spot and Angel will bother the blenny a little but he has holes in the rocks all over to dart into and they never chase, just an occasional dart as if to say your not welcome here. The yellow wasn't planned for this tank but when I added two into my 180 gallon one started getting very aggressive at the other so I had to remove one so I put it in this tank. These fish have only been together for around 6 months so not really long term but so far so good and I do have other tanks if things don't work out.
The four larger fish are shown at the beginning of this video. The sixline and blenny spend most of their time cruising the rocks and aren't shown. I apologize for the long video but I made it to record coral growth. The beginning shows the fish. I really like the color combination of fish in this tank.

that is an absolute beauty of a tank. I have a few questions,
1. I heard the copperband butterfly should only be kept in 125 or larger. The one that you have in there is it fully grown? If not when are planning on moving him to a bigger tank and how old is it now ?
2. In Australia where i am from its quite rare to find a yellow tang and a flame angel and even if you find they can be quite expensive, yellow tang are sold for about$1200. What is a good substitute for a yellow tang and will you move the yellow tang to a bigger tank later on, I was intresed in a scopas but I am not planing to upgrade currently ?
3. How has your experience been with the angel, has been eating or nipping at any corals.
5. Why Bare bottom doesn't it decrease the surface area sand will provide for the beneficial bacteria to grow
4. To Manage aggression did introduce all of the together ? if so wont it place alot of stress on the bio system of the tank and crash the tank?
5. Could also tell me how I should scape this tanks as i am very confused?
6. One last thing, How do you filter this tank, how many water changes a week?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom of your list looks good. For your centerpiece fish you could do one dwarf angel. The other fish just cant be kept long term in that small of tank. A 50 gallon is smaller than you realize with rocks, sand, filtration compartments ect… tangs would be a no in a 50 gallon. Some can be in 70 or so for a little but a tang in that tank isnt right long term for them

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I heard the copperband butterfly should only be kept in 125 or larger. The one that you have in there is it fully grown? If not when are planning on moving him to a bigger tank and how old is it now ?
I've had this one 21 months. I don't have plans to move it to a larger tank but I have a 180 gallon that I could move it to in the future if needed.

What is a good substitute for a yellow tang and will you move the yellow tang to a bigger tank later
I dont really know of a substitute for the yellow. I had to pull the yellow from my 180 because of aggression. If it out grows this tank I will have to rehome it.

How has your experience been with the angel, has been eating or nipping at any corals.
So far I have not seen it nipping. I knew there was a risk of it nipping but I was willing to take the risk because it's such a beautiful fish. I feed multiple times a day and am hoping that will keep his mind off the coral.

Why Bare bottom doesn't it decrease the surface area sand will provide for the beneficial bacteria to grow
I prefer barebottom. Sand has pros and cons but is not necessary. This tank is mostly acro frags growing out and I have two mp40s, two mp10s, and two Nero 5s and a strong return pump so sand would just get blown around. I do have sand in another tank but only because I wanted to add a blue haddoni so I added the sand for the nem.

To Manage aggression did introduce all of the together ? if so wont it place alot of stress on the bio system of the tank and crash the tank?
These fish were added seperately over several months. I would not add a lot of fish at once to a new tank as you stated it would put too much of a load on the system.

Could also tell me how I should scape this tanks as i am very confused?

Sorry. I struggle making scapes that I'm happy with so I don't feel qualified to advise much on those. Just try to make places for the fish to be able to hide and sleep and have room for coral are the main concerns

One last thing, How do you filter this tank, how many water changes a week?
I have a rollermat 500. I change 2 gallons of water weekly. Sometimes I'll do 4 but usually just 2 so I can vacuum the detritus that collects in the back corner. I'm not too strict on my water changes. I took the skimmer off line a few weeks ago. It really wasn't pulling much. I know skimmers are very useful but I don't find them necessary. I have 4 tanks running but currently only running a skimmer on one. I'm not saying you shouldn't run I just choose not to on some tanks. I also have a refugium section with a tray of rock rubble and a ball of chaeto. I love having a fuge in my systems. I don't think chaeto is very good at nutrient reduction but I love having it for the life forms that live there. Mine are full of pods, worms, and micro brittle stars.

I didn't really share my tank as a stocking recommendation. I just saw that I had several of the fish on your list so I thought I would share so you could see them together in a tank similar to yours.

Having 4 tanks running gives me the luxury of being able to move livestock around as needed. Having a single tank means you have to be more cautious. Kudos to you for doing the right thing researching and trying to stock fish that are a good fit for your tank. I wish everyone would spend more time doing that.

OP
OP
K

Kinda_fishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this one 21 months. I don't have plans to move it to a larger tank but I have a 180 gallon that I could move it to in the future if needed.

I dont really know of a substitute for the yellow. I had to pull the yellow from my 180 because of aggression. If it out grows this tank I will have to rehome it.

So far I have not seen it nipping. I knew there was a risk of it nipping but I was willing to take the risk because it's such a beautiful fish. I feed multiple times a day and am hoping that will keep his mind off the coral.

I prefer barebottom. Sand has pros and cons but is not necessary. This tank is mostly acro frags growing out and I have two mp40s, two mp10s, and two Nero 5s and a strong return pump so sand would just get blown around. I do have sand in another tank but only because I wanted to add a blue haddoni so I added the sand for the nem.

These fish were added seperately over several months. I would not add a lot of fish at once to a new tank as you stated it would put too much of a load on the system.

Sorry. I struggle making scapes that I'm happy with so I don't feel qualified to advise much on those. Just try to make places for the fish to be able to hide and sleep and have room for coral are the main concerns

I have a rollermat 500. I change 2 gallons of water weekly. Sometimes I'll do 4 but usually just 2 so I can vacuum the detritus that collects in the back corner. I'm not too strict on my water changes. I took the skimmer off line a few weeks ago. It really wasn't pulling much. I know skimmers are very useful but I don't find them necessary. I have 4 tanks running but currently only running a skimmer on one. I'm not saying you shouldn't run I just choose not to on some tanks. I also have a refugium section with a tray of rock rubble and a ball of chaeto. I love having a fuge in my systems. I don't think chaeto is very good at nutrient reduction but I love having it for the life forms that live there. Mine are full of pods, worms, and micro brittle stars.

I didn't really share my tank as a stocking recommendation. I just saw that I had several of the fish on your list so I thought I would share so you could see them together in a tank similar to yours.

Having 4 tanks running gives me the luxury of being able to move livestock around as needed. Having a single tank means you have to be more cautious. Kudos to you for doing the right thing researching and trying to stock fish that are a good fit for your tank. I wish everyone would spend more time doing that.
Thanks for that in depth explanation, I Have been on a tight budget because I am a UNI student and still want to enjoy my hobby. For filteration I have been researching a bit more and found alot of people have success with canister filters. I was planing o runnning a canister with GFO, geolites, carbon and alot of biomedia, A prefilter with sponges and a nitrate reactor with cheato and other algae to keep the mircofauna to keep the dragonet and the Mandarin. I am thinking to pause on the angelfish as its jst probably to much bioload, maybe sometime in the future, I really wanted a bi colour but oh well.

As for the tangs I have been talking to different experienced reefers and they said the tang such as a bristletooth tang can be kept in the for life as they only get about 6 inches or so and my tank in 16 inches deep, and 3 ft across. As for the other tang instead of a yellow tang which have a hefty price tag, I will go with a scopas which in about 5 years should reach 6 inches or so. By then I will probably get a bigger tank as i will be out of UNI and more free fincially and have more space.

Other than that i think I am ready to start building this tank, Should i make a forum page for that ?????

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than that i think I am ready to start building this tank, Should i make a forum page for that ?????
Absolutely. Its a good way to get input from folks along the way. I have one but for some reason it keeps disappearing but I haven't bothered to try and figure out why. Enjoy the journey!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back