dang you pistol shrimp!

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I just spent the last half hour in full panic mode thinking that my tank was cracking before my very eyes. I searched high and low looking for cracks just waiting for the water to start pouring out. I grabbed buckets and started siphoning water in an attempt to minimize the damage. See, a couple weeks ago I got a pistol shrimp who has so far been extremely cryptic. I basically forgot about him…

Until today.
Short story short, the “cracking glass” sound I was hearing turned out to be my pistol shrimp just doing his pistol shrimp thing.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they like to startle you like that. I know I had a similar experience with some loaches I have in one of my freshwater tanks. I forgot they like to make snapping sounds as well, so I was in full panic mode when heard what I thought was the wood stand splitting.

vicefire17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came as a hitchhiker. I thought my tank was cracking as well. Thank God for The Google and YouTube. I’ve only seen him once when upgrading to a bigger tank. Still hear him all the time. I get worried when I don’t hear him

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my pistol shrimp early on so I became accustomed to the snapping before developing any type of panic response. Typically I'll just get the lighter small snaps out of him but every once in awhile I'll hear the loud snap and its catches me off guard.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back